•  

Don't forget (speed for free).

imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

July 11, 2012, 07:25 AM

Pump! Another important one for skills building.

Tom Holaday and I had the same observations on group rides. Riders forget to or maybe don't know how to pump. I was really surprised by how many racers don't do it and one WORS racer was telling me how he uses it for significant advantage over others.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:59 PM by imwjl »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 11, 2012, 08:47 AM

Definitely a skill I can hone a lot better. I am sure it will dramatically improve if a pump track gets built in Cambridge!
    But I think I do a fair bit of it while riding. And I am surprised that in areas on the trails at CamRock where it is more fun to pump through, the main line goes around those areas. You have to know where to ride a little off the main line to get the good pumping lines. There are actually quite a few of them if you know where to look.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

July 15, 2012, 11:27 AM

True!  You can pump almost anywhere, I use pump track skills on my fixie road bike!

XXX
    imwjl

October 18, 2015, 03:08 PM

Here's newer content than the original. One's nice because it's out of the pump track context. It's important because we have more and more terrain that lets you do it and it's free speed. Notice how it works for berms too. Get light, get air or get fast when others are sucking it up!

:)

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

October 18, 2015, 07:50 PM

Do a few laps on the pump track, then explain how it is free.  After you catch your breath.

XXX
    imwjl

October 18, 2015, 08:11 PM

Do a few laps on the pump track, then explain how it is free.  After you catch your breath.

How about redefining it as speed you didn't know you had?

Yes, it can be quite a workout too.