•  

Quarry Park - Dirt is coming!

brassnipples

June 20, 2013, 09:45 AM

Thanks to Dan and the overall positive relationship that the Quarry Park riders have managed to maintain with the city over the years, the city has agreed to bring in at least 10 yards of dirt for building up features in the park. That's huge news for this little hidden cache of trails, so keep your eye out for an upcoming workday to start moving that around. I'm already making dibs on a slice of it to expand and enhance the pump track :)

XXX

June 21, 2013, 05:50 PM

Thanks to Dan and the overall positive relationship that the Quarry Park riders have managed to maintain with the city over the years, the city has agreed to bring in at least 10 yards of dirt for building up features in the park. That's huge news for this little hidden cache of trails, so keep your eye out for an upcoming workday to start moving that around. I'm already making dibs on a slice of it to expand and enhance the pump track :)

the pump track really need love:)))

~ It's not the ride, it's the rider.
    Go big or go home.
    Know what you are up against.

XXX
    brassnipples

September 04, 2013, 12:58 PM

This Thursday (Sept 5) we're having a work day at Quarry Park to finally get that big pile-o-dirt spread around.  The plan is to bring the pump track back to life and work on the big pump/flow line project.  We'll meet up at 5pm and work until dark. We're short on tools so please bring em if you got em; shovels, pick axes, gravel rakes, wheelbarrows and trimming tools are all helpful.

XXX

September 04, 2013, 01:30 PM

big pump/flow line?are you referring to the roller coster or what am I missing out?
    i should be able to be there

Go big or go home.

XXX
    brassnipples

September 04, 2013, 01:38 PM

We're working on connecting up all of the existing sections that already have good flow (like the roller coaster) into one big loop. It's going to be a pump/flow/jump loop that is about a half mile long when it's done.

XXX

September 04, 2013, 01:57 PM

We're working on connecting up all of the existing sections that already have good flow (like the roller coaster) into one big loop. It's going to be a pump/flow/jump loop that is about a half mile long when it's done.

if it has jump it better be trail bike friendly-.- dj bikes can do all kinds of stuff, but not trail bikes or regular low end mtb for beginners

but that sounds awesome, not sure how it works with those huge drops behind the start of roller coster tho, those are the weak links--and I know the end of roller coster can be ridden backwards from the other side, and then the otherside can go to THe other side downhill, so if you are exiting from roller coster not sure how you can climb up , unless we reverse roller coster. --and after that plateu how does it connect to the other side of the tabletop? Does it go outside or inside those huge freeride drops?

Go big or go home.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:01 PM by lyrill »

XXX

September 04, 2013, 03:58 PM

I'm gonna try and make it out after work to help out, I should be able to bring at least one shovel and one rake!

XXX

September 04, 2013, 06:13 PM

I'll be there  this Thursday and bring a shovel, pulaski and loppers.  Will bring the boy too.

XXX
    brassnipples

September 04, 2013, 07:02 PM

Thanks for all the interest guys, I'll try to grab some refreshments to make it official :)  If anyone has a wheelbarrow to loan it would be extremely helpful.

XXX

September 04, 2013, 08:10 PM

I have a wheelbarrow to lend if someone can pick it up from my house on the sw side I'll be at work.

sent from my Smart-Ass Phone

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

September 04, 2013, 10:29 PM

I don't know if I can make it, but you can grab my wheelbarrow if you want; just a few short blocks from the park.  I will try to remember to put it in the driveway before I leave for work.  2635 Chamberlain Ave,

Jon

XXX
    brassnipples

September 04, 2013, 10:42 PM

Nick, Thanks for the offer can you pm or email me your address?  It might be a stretch for me to get there tomorrow depending on where you are at.

Augs, that's a lot easier to hit on the way there, we'll take you up on that offer.  Thanks so much, I'll see that it gets back in one piece.

XXX

September 05, 2013, 11:15 AM

Nick, Thanks for the offer can you pm or email me your address?  It might be a stretch for me to get there tomorrow depending on where you are at.

Augs, that's a lot easier to hit on the way there, we'll take you up on that offer.  Thanks so much, I'll see that it gets back in one piece.

I will bring a wheelbarrow tonight also plus 2 pulaskis, hand tramper, lopper and shovel... and 2 little rascals.

XXX
    brassnipples

September 06, 2013, 09:42 AM

Thanks to everyone that came out last night, we managed to get a surprising amount of work done in 3 hours, way more than expected.  The entire 10 yards of dirt that the city dropped off was moved by about 10 guys and 4 wheelbarrows, it's all pretty loose so it needs a round of riding/wetting/repairing but overall things are in great shape.

The work to the pump track alone is pretty astounding, the whole thing has been rejuvenated and enhanced to be even better than it's former glory. The big flow line saw a lot of progress too with a huge berm in place now that links up the east side of the park, and a corridor was scouted, cleared, and smoothed in to make a much easier connecting route to the east end of the Roller Coaster. 

We'll work on getting two more loads of dirt from the city, one at each end of the park this time, and there is talk of getting a water truck out there to really bring things up a notch.

Really guys, thanks so much for coming out and putting in some solid work, it's impressive what can be knocked out when everyone puts their heads down to get things done.  Special thanks to Dan for kicking all this off and working with the city.

Keep an eye out for an alternate site where we'll be coordinating Quarry Park rides/work without causing confusion by piggy backing on the CORP forum like we have been.

XXX

September 06, 2013, 02:15 PM

I sure like reading about Quarry Park on this forum.  ;) It is refreshing to be able to get so much done in such a small time frame.  I love how simple it is to get some work done out there, that's hard to beat!  When there is more dirt I'm there to move it.  Nice work Dan and Rich- I'm really excited about quarry park again.