•  

2018 Trail Work Updates

August 23, 2018, 09:36 AM

Howling Wolf is trimmed. Bridge is washed out at the bottom of the run so divert to the right onto the gravel road. I cut a path through the weeds.

XXX

August 23, 2018, 09:37 AM

Thanks to the Blackhawk Composite youth team for touching up trails yesterday.

I trimmed the top half of Twist and Shout.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

September 06, 2018, 09:43 PM

Twist and Shout return needs trimming.  There is a bridge out on Creekside (4-6 people with tall boots will be needed to re-set it).  A tree down on Long's Short.  Another in the old-schoold singletrack near the east chalet.    Pretty much everything got hammered by the storms and could use capping and/or smoothing.  If you'd like to spend a few hours in the woods in the beautiful fall weather that is forecast for the next week or so, there is plenty to do.

XXX

September 08, 2018, 10:08 AM

Twist and Shout return needs trimming.  There is a bridge out on Creekside (4-6 people with tall boots will be needed to re-set it).  A tree down on Long's Short.  Another in the old-schoold singletrack near the east chalet.    Pretty much everything got hammered by the storms and could use capping and/or smoothing.  If you'd like to spend a few hours in the woods in the beautiful fall weather that is forecast for the next week or so, there is plenty to do.

If anyone gets to the trees before Tue, please post it here so I don't lug a saw around for nothing.
    I get the Long Short location, but where is the location on the old school singletrack  near the east chalet? Do you mean Deer run going down the W side of Hill 6, or the Switchbacks going down the W side of Hill 5?

XXX

September 08, 2018, 10:12 AM

If anyone would like to help and can meet me on Tue 8:30-11ish, then I can help you get going with power tools and direction. You can message me you phone # to connect.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

September 08, 2018, 08:08 PM

I'll get the Long's Short tree tomorrow; it is small enough to get with a handsaw, and I'll bring one riding.  The other trail is the top of the Hill 6 climb, between Roller Coaster and the two track at the edge of the property; if you've never ridden with me, there is a decent chance you've never been on that trail.  It's big enough to need a chainsaw, but that will make quick work of it.  If I get to it, I'll let you know.

XXX

September 10, 2018, 07:53 PM

If anyone would like to help and can meet me on Tue 8:30-11ish, then I can help you get going with power tools and direction. You can message me you phone # to connect.

I won't make it, getting called in for work.

XXX

September 18, 2018, 07:28 AM

I’ll be trimming and sawing where needed at Blackhawk today 8:30-2. You are welcome to join. If you get there early meet at the garage, if you come later, follow your ears.

XXX

September 18, 2018, 09:46 PM

I’ll be trimming and sawing where needed at Blackhawk today 8:30-2. You are welcome to join. If you get there early meet at the garage, if you come later, follow your ears.

I very nearly finished Twist and Shout, but I was chased out after a couple bee stings from a swarm of ground bees I disturbed.

XXX

September 28, 2018, 08:36 AM

Just wanted to say great work everyone, my buddy and i hit up Blackhawk for the first time last night (we are members), had an absolute blast. Super fun trails.

Although for the life of me we couldn't find the black trails in the northeast, switchbacks and deer run. 

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

September 28, 2018, 09:03 AM

Deer Run is more or less dead; it got torn up by some ski hill construction and no one has decided it is worth it to bring it back.  The entrance to the Switchbacks may be a little overgrown, but it is easy to miss at the best of times:  On the connector between Roller Coaster and Howling Wolff, instead of making the 90 degree left turn to go under the ski jumps, you make a hard right.  The Hill 6 trails aren't as hard to find, but you need to have your eyes peeled; they enter and leave the woods a couple times, and don't get a ton of traffic, so are easy to miss.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

September 30, 2018, 09:38 PM

Finding Long's Short Trail is probably easiest from the bottom; right where the PV Connector exits the woods, look for some single track going off at about a 45 degree angle.  It's a technical climb, but all rideable on a good day.

I've been working on a little extension; the old trail exits the woods about 1/4 way up the hill, and the there is a deep gulley that makes putting trail in the woods impossible.  A couple hundred feet up the hill, look for another single track on the left side; again, it's not easy, but it's not the boring ride up the ski hill.  It should get a little easier as the tread gets compacted, it's still  pretty loose now.  That exits the woods again where we run out of woods between the ski hill and the fence; head up the ski hill, and look for another single track entrance, this time on the right.  Much easier in this area.  It is all two-way, so you can ride it down, but in my opinion it works better as a challenging climb.