•  

2019 BH/PV Grooming

augs
    Former President
    Board Member

January 29, 2019, 11:41 AM

Now that we've got snow, there is plenty of work keeping it in top condition.  Whether you want to head out on your own with snow shoes or get trained on using the Snow Dogg groomer, check in here to see what needs to be done.  Click on the "Notify" button in the top right corner to get email updates.  Thanks, and hope to see you out there!

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

January 29, 2019, 11:50 AM

Much of BH was Groomed on Monday, but this dry  snow can use more compaction.  If you've got snowshoes, they do a great job, and can get to some sections of the trail that the groomer can't.  And it's enough work to keep you warm on these cold days.

XXX
    Patrick Remington
    Blackhawk
    Consider the penalty for failure, dude

February 12, 2019, 02:12 PM

The trails will need to be groomed before they are able to be ridden. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town until Friday.

Please post here if you're able to groom, or want to learn how.

Thanks!  Pat Remington

~ Pat Remington
    Blackhawk trail steward and mountain bike committee chair. Ski Club Past President.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

February 13, 2019, 01:33 PM

A little bit of Pleasant View at trailhead was done last night. We need a stomping party there up to the new Nording crossing where the machine can get to fast and easy.

Garrett and I just did the upper pines, Twist & Shout and west side (biathlon to West parking lot) with a mix of machine & snowshoes.

We're out of time for now. Who might be able to take over?

Thank you.

XXX
    g
    And last but not least.......

February 14, 2019, 12:54 PM

Ran the snow dog and groomer down howling wolf to the road. So the groomer has been run on upper sections and most of howling wolf. William was going to run the snow dog on the creek stuff as well I think. Snow is too soft to ride now best to wait til tomorrow to ride.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

February 14, 2019, 01:52 PM

I got the rest of upper, trails between east and west, and a re-do of west side to fix post holes from feet.

Remaining:
    -Bottom of Howling Wolff
    -Creek Trail
    -Pleasant View

It would be really sweet to have it all done for the party on Sunday.

XXX
    Patrick Remington
    Blackhawk

February 16, 2019, 04:05 PM

The SnowDog would not start, no matter what we tried. So I brought it to Middleton Power, and he was able to get it started. Said it was flooded pretty bad. Told me to make sure that we use only gas, with no alcohol. So I bought a 5-gallon gas container, and wrote that on the top. Then I brought it back and groomed the Creek Trail, all the way over to PV, and went up the XC ski trail (the Switchbacks). There is really no other way to get to PV. From there are groomed to the Clubhouse, and back. It had been packed with snowshoes. Then I came back, and tried to go down the "Up" switchback. That was a mistake. It was icy, and the groomer kept sliding to the side. I was able to keep it on the trail, but I slid down the hill several times. Did I say that was a bad idea. I made it down, and went back to BH. The machine worked well.

Then Jim Statz took the SnowDog out to groom, and he said that it worked well, but he noticed that it starting smoking, and chugging. It would not run at a high RPM, and would bog down. He filled it up with fresh gas that I had gotten, but that did not help. We could barely get it off the trail, and brought it back to the Piston Bully Shed. The only thing that I can think, is that it floods if it tips, and that eventually, the air filter, or carburetor gets gummed up.

It it back in the shed. If you want to try it, maybe take off the air filter to see if that helps? If not we may need to call Middleton, or bring it back in. 

~ Pat Remington
    Blackhawk trail steward and mountain bike committee chair. Ski Club Past President.

XXX

February 17, 2019, 07:11 PM

Check the engine oil level.  It's possible to get fuel in the engine oil if the machine tips.  That  could make the machine run rich  (smoke and chug).

XXX
    Patrick Remington
    Blackhawk

February 17, 2019, 10:41 PM

We did check the oil, and it was full, and looked clean. We think it's the other way around -- the oil is getting into the fuel, and gumming up the carb and air filter. It ran well today, without the air filter. And when I put the air filter back on, the engine sputtered, and stopped. We'll figure this out, one day soon!

~ Pat Remington

XXX

February 28, 2019, 08:00 AM

Got out there Tuesday 27th of Feb.  PV was mostly rideable to BH with a little creative route-finding, as I didn't take Landowski downhill or the outer loop (didn't appear to have been stomped).  BH was great creekside and for a classic loop.  Of the stomped areas of PV and BH, conditions were light snow over grippy hardpack. 

XXX
    Patrick Remington
    Blackhawk

March 03, 2019, 08:15 PM

The groomer is working well. I bought gas for it, and it disappeared. So I went to buy more, filled the groomer, but when I went there today, all 5 gallons was gone. I think that the snowmobile users are using it. We may need to have our own supply, or bring in the large tank so everyone can have gas.

There are 2 parts of PV that are nearly impossible to groom with the SnowDog. The steep section of the uphill flow trail, and the section of the downhill flow trail that goes into the rocky ravine. I did the latter today, but it was sketchy, and I came close to a disaster. There's a cutoff before you get to the ravine that could be used. We'll have to revisit these sections in the summer, and either design alternate routes, or make them wider, and less pitched.

I've been really careful to avoid rocks--and so far, so good. If you do groom, make sure that the chain (front left) does not hit a rock. I've also been careful not to let the machine tip. Jeff Hoerning did some research, and this engine has a "blow by" tube that can bring the oil into the fuel intake, if it's tipped.

~ Pat Remington