•  

Joggers on trails with berms and jumps

June 16, 2021, 09:13 AM

Not sure where else to put this and don't want to look unfriendly on the FaceBook pages-
    In the last few weeks, I've noticed joggers on trails like Mayor's at CamRock and PorkChop at Quarry Ridge. 
    My concern for them is that they may inadvertently get hit by a bike traveling at speed on those trails.  I'm also personally curious as to why one would jog on those trails specifically, but that's just idle curiosity.
    I've looked for signage regarding pedestrians on these trails and haven't found any mention.  About a month ago, I and my riding partner politely steered a group of two women and about 4 children off the flow section near the entry of IMBA Influence at CamRock. They were confused as to where they should walk and said they didn't see signs saying that it might be unsafe to walk on that trail.  They asked where the hiking trails at CamRock were, and I really didn't know.
    What's the thinking on pedestrians and joggers on trails that tend to move kind of fast?

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

June 16, 2021, 01:24 PM

I'm unaware of any local or county ordinances restricting use, and historically land managers have reminded the single track and feature trails have been developed and maintained with the CORP partnership.

No longer mowing the ski trails at Pleasant View has had more hikers on the trail. Just before the long week ago trimming day I suggested joining the work day to a frustrated bird watcher for a good short-term solution to stop the complaints.

I'm only trail steward for one bit of our area but honestly feel rider behavior can cause  conflict too and I try to stay off the land managers' radar. Just making an effort to educate seems to go a long way.

Improved signage can help too and that gets in the realm of always needing more help.

XXX

June 17, 2021, 03:29 PM

I've only been to a small handful bike trails that explicitly don't allow foot traffic (most of which are lift-access bike parks); almost all allow it. It's something we just need to expect and keep our eyes on the trail ahead. That said, there are opportunities to educate people:
    • Awareness, both for bikers and hikers. Often each group doesn't realize the other will be there.
    • Etiquette; for example, on one-way trails, hikers should hike in the opposite direction of the bikes whenever possible
    • Right-of-way rules
    • Potentially better signage in some areas
    The John Muir trails are far and away the best trail system I've seen with these things, especially the second point. There's separate and ample signage for hikers and bikers, and trails are color coded and signed to make sure hikers and bikers stay going in the opposite direction. IMHO any trail system that gets both significant foot and bike traffic should have a similar system in place.

As far as why they chose to be on the flow trails, that's anyone's guess. I'm certainly open to the idea of closing off especially dangerous trails like that to foot traffic as long as there is a good alternative (e.g. close the MPG jump line to foot traffic but let them walk the green flow line). Having a foot traffic-only trail that runs parallel, like the lake trail at Quarry Ridge, would also make it easier to close specific sections of trail to foot traffic.

XXX

June 17, 2021, 07:06 PM

What specific help would be useful in the signage arena?

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

June 19, 2021, 10:01 PM

All good points.  I'm seeing more questions about this at alot of trails, I think better signage is in order, we'll see what we can come up with.

As far as why people walk/run on some trails, I'm with you, corkr, scratching my head.  But the truth is that non-bikers often haven't any idea what they are looking at in terms of direction, speed, or style of trail.  That mound of dirt that is so obviously a jump to you and me is just a mound of dirt to them.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

June 19, 2021, 10:26 PM

Also, I'm not sure trying to prohibit walking/running and certain trails would work.  Enough people don't pay attention to that sort of thing that as riders, we would still need to anticipate that we might have to take evasive action.  Unless it becomes a much bigger problem than it has been.

XXX

May 01, 2023, 09:18 PM

Just leaving my 2 cents, but I thought camrock trails were open to hikers. Never had an issue with them there, they have always been friendly and moved over. Funny once I ran into a guy like 3 times in one day.

However pork chop I thought was a bike only trail, and had the hiking trail next to it with a do not enter sign at the bottom.

I've also encountered lots of people at quarry park and never had an issue. Dog walkers, teens smoking in the woods. But quarry park and where I ran into the guy at cam rock were green/flow style not downhill or park oriented..