•  

Walk through at Quarry Ridge

March 14, 2012, 11:01 AM

I have time Thursday (mid day) to walk the trail, Ill report back on the conditions and if they are close to riding. 

~ Burn rubber

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

March 14, 2012, 01:40 PM

Thanks for checking it out.  If you don't make it, I was planning on walking through on Friday.

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

March 15, 2012, 01:12 PM

Well???

I rode the badger state trail a ways at lunchtime today, it's totally dry except a bit at the beginning, and even that isn't bad - Quarry Ridge has got to be getting close.

Of course, my hardtail is in pieces at the moment....

~ Look up on the wall baby, hand me down my shootin' iron.
    Call your mother long distance, tell her to expect your body home.

XXX

March 15, 2012, 01:41 PM

what?  did you have to take the entire bike apart to put that headbadge on!  I didn't make it over to QR today, window of opportunity never came.  I did a quick walk here at the city - 2 miles east of QR and the dirt trail in the woods is moist, had to avoid a few spots that would have collected on my shoes.   Its not the trail, but not far away and given that walk, I would say in about a week, maybe less depending on rain and warm weather it should be able to go.  Hopefully Bin can swing over there Friday. 

~ Burn rubber

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

March 15, 2012, 03:42 PM

I'll give it a look tomorrow and report back.  Our general rule is that it's too wet if any dirt sticks to tires/shoes or if you leave a visible indention right?

XXX

March 15, 2012, 03:58 PM

earthworms, look for earthworms   ::)

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

March 16, 2012, 03:39 PM

I went up the climb and down the tunnel trail.  It was a little soft but not bad.  Ran into Wes who said the main XC loop was more damp but still ridable.  I thought what I saw was pretty borderline so I went on out to CamRock for a lap.  CR was dryer in most spots than QR but I did encounter a few places out there that were softer than anything I personally saw at QR so if that's good enough for the Mayor I figured it was good enough to mark QR open as well.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

March 17, 2012, 12:20 AM

I went up the climb and down the tunnel trail.  It was a little soft but not bad.  Ran into Wes who said the main XC loop was more damp but still ridable.  I thought what I saw was pretty borderline so I went on out to CamRock for a lap.  CR was dryer in most spots than QR but I did encounter a few places out there that were softer than anything I personally saw at QR so if that's good enough for the Mayor I figured it was good enough to mark QR open as well.
    I did not ride yesterday. Unless things changed since I was out there, and they might have since things are thawing and groundawater is moving again, the spots that are soft at CR are in the Outback on flat ground. These areas are planned to have skinnies added in the near future, and they would typically stay wet through a normal spring and fall season. That is why I am not concerned about them.

~ Chuck Hutchens

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:04 AM by TheMayor1 »