•  

Trail rules

January 14, 2018, 04:45 PM

Twice now I have been on the trails, once running and once mtn biking, and I have been chastised or admonished by someone claiming to be a “trail steward”. Both times I was given absolutely false information. As a runner I am very aware of trail preservation. I do not use the trails in the mud and do my best to clear trails I come across that may be blocked by debris. Often I see bike tire marks that were obviously made in the mud and now are dried. Today a mtn biker feels it necessary to tell me I can’t run on the trails when they are muddy or snow covered. I get the mud and duh I’m not stupid. I can read signs and my gender does not make me stupid. But snow? I’ve never seen any rules or etiquette regarding this. I don’t run on the ski trails but the mtn bike trails are not ski trails. Can people stop making shit up and trying to police the trails? Catch me when I’m doing something wrong. Don’t try to be high and mighty when I’m in the right. Mind your own business and be polite on the trails. I can only think the mechanical you suffered later on the trail was trail kharma.  :-[

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

January 14, 2018, 07:38 PM

If the snowy trail has been groomed, or has a relatively smooth surface, then, yes, it is poor etiquette to run on it. Footprints harden into bumps and severely detract from the riding  experience. Snowshoes are fine, in fact encouraged, because they help maintain a nice compacted tread. I'm guessing that whoever spoke to you today meant for you to keep that in mind in case we get snow, not that you shouldn't have been there today, as I can't imagine you were affecting anyone else with our current conditions.

I'm sorry that you had a bad interaction. One of our challenges is that we are all volunteers, and we don't have uniforms, or badges, or necessarily great communication skills. Sometimes when we try to do what seems right and protect the trails, it comes across as pushy or rude. Yes, we need to get some winter trail etiquette signs up. But thank you for appreciating that whoever you spoke to was trying to help.

XXX

January 19, 2018, 01:21 PM

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

As one of the "official" trail stewards of Pleasant View, I'm very sorry that someone yelled at you like this!
    The last thing CORP or the mountain bike community in general want is this kind of behavior.
    At the end of the day, these are public trails that we all have the right to enjoy.

We're also sorry for not having good signage in place at the trail head to outline the trail use guidelines. This is an issue that has bitten us HARD in the past year, but we are addressing it in Spring.

Bike and Run on!

XXX

January 19, 2018, 04:57 PM

I understanding if I am post holing. That’s not pleasant run on either. I also understand groomed ski trails. Again, I don’t run on those. Mtn bike trails with half an inch are technically snow covered but I’m probably still gonna run those. That amount of uneven surface should not change a fat bike ride. And if it does perhaps those individuals should stay home and ride a trainer.