•  

Trail Conditions

February 02, 2015, 01:09 PM

I was able to get out on snowshoes near the end of the storm - not sure if it did much good though since snow was still falling and blowing around.  Anyone else been able to make it out recently?

I'm not sure how effective XC skis would be at helping out with grooming, but I feel like the trail is wide/flat enough that it would probably be possible in most places.

XXX

February 05, 2015, 07:32 PM

I did three snowshoe laps of the outer loop tonight.  Tried to ride a lap after and it was still unridable.  Hopefully it will harden overnight, but if anyone can get out there to walk it more, that will help - also need to walk the inner loop.  It only takes ~20 minutes to stomp out a lap if you can make the time.

XXX

February 05, 2015, 09:22 PM

Awesome.  I'll be out there tomorrow with my bike and snow shoes.  Will try to ride the outer loop now that it has had a chance to set up and then also stomp a bit on the inner loop.

XXX

February 06, 2015, 10:51 AM

My two kids and I just snowshoed the outer loop.  We will try to get to the inner, which needs a lot of work, soon.

XXX

February 06, 2015, 05:32 PM

Outer loop is looking good but we really need some cold weather before it will be ridable/fun.  Unfortunately doesn't look like that will happen until Mon or Tues...

I snowshoed 4 laps on the inner loop - alternated direction and running/walking to keep things interesting.  It probably still needs a bit more traffic though.

XXX

February 06, 2015, 06:47 PM

My kid (the younger one said "not again today") and I shoed a lap of the outer and then the inner about the time you were out there.  We saw your shoes resting in the trees.  There were two riders out there as well, but they were having a hard time. 

XXX

February 09, 2015, 02:52 PM

Just wanted to say thanks and good work to all of us who 'shoed and rode the trails over the weekend, both loops are in awesome shape and very ridable now!  Looks like people stayed away yesterday when things were soft and wet, so they are very smooth and packed today.  I attempted to widen the outer loop with snowshoes on Saturday, but the snow was clumpy so it didn't work out too well.  I'm hoping to drag a sled over it to smooth it soon, so there's a little more margin for error on the turns.  Get out and ride if you can!

XXX

February 09, 2015, 03:19 PM

Awesome!  Any idea if they are firm and smooth enough that a 2" tire bike could ride them? 

I have noticed that the narrow turns like that really force me to be conscious of where my rear wheel is tracking - a skill that I definitely haven't mastered.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:23 PM by mccarthy »

XXX

February 09, 2015, 03:38 PM

I rode the outer and inner loop early this morning.  At that time, 2 inch tires could do the outer but probably not the inner.  I put the first tracks down on the inner since some time.  It was seriously post holed by a couple sets of boots.  I rode and stomped it a bit, and after that I was still having some difficulty with my rather lame tread 4 inch tires.  It sounds like they were ridden and smoothed out a bit later in the day.  It was frozen ice bumps this morning.  The frozen boot prints did provide a bit of traction however. 

XXX

February 10, 2015, 09:06 PM

Thank you, guys for taking ownership of winter riding at Seminole. I know I've been absent, I've been preoccupied with a new job and work schedule.

I will be back in the swing of things by Spring and we will finish off the Inner Loop, restore drainage, and add signage.

Thanks for your help!

XXX

February 10, 2015, 10:00 PM

Glad to help!  As close as they are for me, I don't mind being a winter steward of the trails.  A couple things I've learned already; it's critical to get there first to set the right lines (recreational snowshoers take very different lines), track needs to be 3 snowshoes wide (18"-24") or you pop off too easily, dragging something heavy will do the work of three or more laps on snowshoes, and it takes at least an overnight for the packed trail to set up for riding.

I've seen some of the grooming equipment discussions for CamRock, but for our small "urban" trails that won't make sense.  I'm trying to come up with a solution that's easy to get to the trail, then pull behind snowshoes.  I think it's a modified Burley with skidplates.  Then I can tow it to the trail behind the bike, take off the wheels to drag it around the trail, and tow it home.  I'll keep you posted.

Thank you, guys for taking ownership of winter riding at Seminole. I know I've been absent, I've been preoccupied with a new job and work schedule.

I will be back in the swing of things by Spring and we will finish off the Inner Loop, restore drainage, and add signage.

Thanks for your help!

XXX

February 11, 2015, 04:43 PM

I'm trying to come up with a solution that's easy to get to the trail, then pull behind snowshoes.  I think it's a modified Burley with skidplates.  Then I can tow it to the trail behind the bike, take off the wheels to drag it around the trail, and tow it home.  I'll keep you posted.]

Cool, If you want/need any help, I have been fabricating metal parts for 10yrs and have access to every tool imaginable!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 08:27 PM by Nick C. »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

February 13, 2015, 11:32 PM

There are some good ideas for manual grooming online if you look for the IMBA fat bike Summit held at Jackson Hole recently. I also have some pics from the Fat Summit in Cable last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

February 14, 2015, 11:51 AM

I am currently building a groomer, I'll make a thread about it later

XXX

February 25, 2015, 03:12 PM

Trails out there are pretty smooth and a consistent 24'' wide now. I just got back from doing a lap on each loop with the groomer.