•  

Sandy Bowl

Bin
    aka Ben

July 15, 2015, 03:59 PM

I've been down the Sandy Bowl a few times over the years but for whatever reason it never became a normal part of my QR trips. On my last trip I was trying to focus on a few skills such as jumps (I love the new stuff at the end of dizzy) and drop offs (the filter at the start of drop zone scares me a bit) so I wen in the bowl looking for drop offs that were a little smaller and/or had easier lead up/roll out combos so I could session a bit. While exploring I found lots of stuff to play around on and was surprised at how much bigger and more fun that area is than I remembered.  I also found a huge drop/gap that I never knew existed.

Do regulars to the Sandy Bowl have favorite lines that you ride over and over or do you just sort of point it down hill and bomb whatever happens to be in front of you?  I suspect I have been missing out on a lot of good stuff in there the last couple years.

"Ride it, don't slide it."

XXX
    Renegade Rick
    Webmaster
    Administrator

July 15, 2015, 10:10 PM

There are a bunch of good lines through there. I rode a new one (for me) last night. I've seen folks ride around all over the bowl and even climb back up.

XXX

July 16, 2015, 08:18 AM

I like the line all the way to the left. After the initial descent, keep left and you'll find some fun rocks to go over and a small-medium sized drop that leads into the woods. It connects back with Dizzy right before the tabletop jump, so you get to do that too.

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

July 16, 2015, 08:26 AM

I stayed pretty far left and it was a fairly tame ride down, I must have not tried left enough. That sounds like a great line for the stuff I wanted to work on.  How tall is a small-medium drop? I classify the drop at the start of drop zone to be medium-large (I'm guessing 16-18"). Then again, I'm not good at drops yet so that one is probably tiny for some around here.

XXX

July 16, 2015, 09:02 AM

In that case, we'll call this one medium-large. It's a bit challenging because the run-in is short and a bit sandy. I stay to the right on the drop and I'm able to roll it without any problems. I'm not great at drops either, but I can do the one at the start of Drop Zone.

XXX

July 16, 2015, 10:48 AM

really far right can be fun as well.  It is quite steep but everything is rollable if you stick far enough to the right over by the ambulance climb.  There is a short but very steep uphill near the end that you need lots of speed for or you'll probably end up falling over backwards.  Probably best to hike it first so you know what you're in for.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:50 AM by mccarthy »

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

July 20, 2015, 10:17 PM

To get to Fenster's drop you need to stay way left; pretty much a straight shot after you make the hairpin turn to enter the bowl proper.  It sort of seems like a dead end.  I find that one more intimidating than the the Drop Zone filter, but drops are not my strong point, and I haven't really considered rolling either of them.  Both landings look awfully flat from the top.

I used to ride mccarthy's line alot, but haven't in years.  I recall it being pretty fun, but can't remember why I quit.

XXX

September 24, 2015, 02:14 PM

There are some great lines in the bowl. I think the best way to find some new ones is to ride down and walk back up. You'll end up seeing lots of different lines you didn't catch on the way down! There are a few small drops among the rocks as well that can lead to some fun lines.

There's also the large drop towards the right side of Sandy Bowl, but the landing is pretty sketchy.