•  

Fat bike as first MTB?

July 10, 2017, 02:37 PM

Hi guys,
    I'm relatively new to mountain biking and am looking for some advice. Currently, I am riding trails on my old, fully-rigid trek that I also use for commuting on the UW campus. In my search for an upgraded off road machine I came across the wonderful world of fat biking. I have been told that fat bikes can be used as relatively capable trail bikes in addition to having fun in the snow. What are your thoughts on getting a fat bike as an all-purpose trail bike/adventure bike/winter commuter? Also, any suggestions on a budget-friendly fat bike would be appreciated, especially if you are looking to get a used on off your hands :)
    Thanks

XXX

July 10, 2017, 03:01 PM

YES! If I had to sell all but one bike I would for sure keep my Surly Ice Cream Truck and I'd be happy. As it is, I ride it year-round and will even commute on it in the summer when I might hit some single track on the way home. I will say that some pro-fat bikers like to claim that the big tires can be a substitute for suspension, I wouldn't go that far. The tires soak up some rocks and roots, but they're not suspension. The big benefit of the fatties in the summer time is the traction and forgiveness in picking lines.

The Surly Wednesday is a more budget-friendly option, and there are obviously others.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

July 10, 2017, 04:03 PM

Welcome. Many have a fat bike as an only off road bike. You can change tires or wheels in the summer to make them a little more peppy or faster.

As far as budget, our Seminole Trail Stewards are the product managers for the popular Mongoose bikes. They're sold online but supported from the Madison HQ. If you look closely you might see next year's model ridden by one of them.

Our sponsors here sell good brands and are decent people who will give you good advice.

Now to really mess you up.... Some I know have chosen plus wheel size bikes as not always ideal for winter but surely faster riding in summer.