•  

Help with Sheehan Park in Sun Prairie

February 18, 2019, 06:26 PM

I am seeking your help with Sheehan Park's singletrack mountain bike trails.
    Please join me at the City of Sun Prairie's Common Council meeting on February 19th at 7pm. This meeting will occur in the Council Chambers room upstairs at 300 East Main Street.
    Being discussed is the memorandum of understanding between CORP and the City of Sun Prairie. This MOU is the agreement that allows CORP  to provide volunteers that help with the design and maintenance of the singletrack mountain bike trails at Sheehan Park.
    The current MOU requires that CORP add an umbrella policy to their insurance which will add a sizable cost to the small non-profit. None of the other government groups that CORP works with require this additional umbrella policy. This includes the City of Fitchburg, the City of Middleton, the City of Madison, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resouces, Dane County Parks, and the Village of Cross Plains.
    I understand that other user groups at Sheehan Park have provided this requested umbrella policy. In comparison, CORP is providing volunteers and thus reducing the city's cost to maintain these trails. And this is for an open portion of the park that can be used by local residents and those living nearby. These other groups are able to limit the use of portions of Sheehan Park and recoup the cost of this policy by charging park users for their spaces.
    I am hoping the City Alders, and Mayor, consider the differences in user groups, the difference in goals for each group's MOU, and what other government groups have already agreed to from an insurance perspective. I am hoping they will agree to remove the MOU requirement for the added umbrella policy.
    Do you agree?
    If so, please plan on attending the meeting in support of the MOU change. If you live in Sun Prairie, consider letting your district's alders know your feelings about this topic.
    Thank you in advance.
    Chris

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:07 PM by ccsachs »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

February 19, 2019, 10:45 AM

Wish I could be there Chris. But we have  a CamRock Climbers award ceremony for the team kids tonight. I hope others can make it.
    Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

February 19, 2019, 01:47 PM

Enjoy the awards ceremony tonight. That sounds like a blast and I love to see excited youth coming on strong.

XXX

February 20, 2019, 08:35 AM

Thank you to everyone to everyone who attended last night. The support was great and the folks seeking support for a modified MOU filled the room.
    Sun Prairie's City Council voted to allow the MOU with the removal of the umbrella clause. With that in mind, CORP should see a revised agreement very soon. This MOU will allow us to start organizing trail days. plan regular maintenance, and improve the trails at Sheehan Park.
    Progress is being made...
    Chris

XXX
    nor
    Trail Steward - Cross Plains
    Trail Steward

February 20, 2019, 09:08 AM

Happy to hear of the positive outcome. Great news!

~ crushing it