•  

Geolocation Ban?

February 24, 2014, 01:41 PM

Does madcitydirt.com use some sort of Geolocation to ban users (based on IP address, country location, etc.)? I was recently out of the country and tried to check the forums but received an error that I had been banned and there was no expiration for the ban (unfortunately I don't have the exact error message). I even simply tried to visit the home page from a computer/browser I hadn't used before and it said the Guest user was also banned.

Things are working fine now that I'm home, so I don't know if there was simply a glitch at the time I was trying to access the forums that has since been fixed, or if there's an issue.

XXX
    Q
    Bonner

February 24, 2014, 02:29 PM

IP ranges can be banned, yes. Especially if they are from regions with known centers of spam/attacks.

XXX

February 24, 2014, 03:24 PM

I realize they CAN be banned, hence the question if they ARE :).

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

February 24, 2014, 03:29 PM

Yes, I believe IP addresses originating in some parts of the world are actively banned here.

That doesn't explain why my inlaw's IP address in La Crosse gets the same banned message though. 

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

February 24, 2014, 03:46 PM

The short answer is yes, there are IP address restrictions in place. I count 59 first-octet wildcard bans. It really isn't the best implementation, but it's low maintenance. If you have any IPs that you want to see unblocked, let me or Rick know and we can look into it.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:50 PM by Gary S »

XXX

February 24, 2014, 05:01 PM

The short answer is yes, there are IP address restrictions in place. I count 59 first-octet wildcard bans. It really isn't the best implementation, but it's low maintenance. If you have any IPs that you want to see unblocked, let me or Rick know and we can look into it.

Curiosity satisfied. I don't expect to be going back to where I was anytime soon, but now I'll know what's going on if I see the error again.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

February 24, 2014, 05:26 PM

I was having issues last year whenever I stayed at a Comfort Suites hotel and I logged in using their wifi system. The problem I had is it would not let me back on once I got back. And I stay at lots of hotels for work.
    I had to uninstall Tapatalk and them reinstall it to get it to work again. I got around it by not using the hotels wifi unless I absolutely had to. Then I just would not go on the CORP site.

~ Chuck Hutchens