•  

BALLS Ride - What is it?

Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

March 07, 2012, 10:38 PM

Not to derail this thread, but does anyone have pics of the cheese trail?  My uncle is coming along this year and seems intent on taking a touring bike.   I am having a hard time trying to explain the "unique" conditions of the cheese trail.

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

March 08, 2012, 04:14 PM

Not to derail this thread, but does anyone have pics of the cheese trail?  My uncle is coming along this year and seems intent on taking a touring bike.   I am having a hard time trying to explain the "unique" conditions of the cheese trail.

Found one.  This may help newbs with bike choice

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

March 09, 2012, 07:55 AM

Unfortunately, you can have photos of the Cheese Country Trail that show the trail surface at that one spot along the 40 mile stretch.  What the photo doesn't show is the frequent changes in trail surface and materials used to create said trail surface(s).  It's the damn breaker rock that gets to me.

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

March 09, 2012, 12:51 PM

Unfortunately, you can have photos of the Cheese Country Trail that show the trail surface at that one spot along the 40 mile stretch.  What the photo doesn't show is the frequent changes in trail surface and materials used to create said trail surface(s).  It's the damn breaker rock that gets to me.

The desperation of trying to find a firm line to ride on, the relief of finding one, the disappointment when it ends 10 feet later...

Unless you're Richard on a pugs, floating like a hovercraft over it all...

~ Look up on the wall baby, hand me down my shootin' iron.
    Call your mother long distance, tell her to expect your body home.

XXX

March 09, 2012, 01:48 PM

I sorta played off all the warnings of that stretch, believe the feedback, it blows.

~ Burn rubber

XXX

March 09, 2012, 09:32 PM

BALLS, to me, hurts for one reason.  The shear monotony.  It's flat long and straight.  There are VERY few opportunities to stand, coast, glide downhill, or climb.  It's all pedaling all the time.  If you aren't comfortable with your saddle it will turn into an ass-grater by the end of the day on Saturday.  Sunday, well that will just plain hurt.

~ I like beer and men

XXX

March 09, 2012, 09:51 PM

its all pretty straight forward.  flat cushy trail surface, magical woodland animals, sexy angels that come to save you when you bonk, mischevious gnomes that gnaw on your tires, evil magicians, axe weilding rhinoceroses, blah blah blah.  just put yourself in a molly hatchet album cover.  thats balls. tires?  really, you're worried about tires?  this is war man!

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

March 09, 2012, 09:55 PM

i wonder if 1.5" are going to be enough.  my chinese carbon rims sure are building up nicely.  my new tire/tube/rim combo shed 450 grams (a pound) per wheel.

[attachment deleted by admin]

~ i like social d

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

March 09, 2012, 10:08 PM

I hear chickenlegs going to chicken out this year and not show.

~ i like social d

XXX

March 09, 2012, 10:14 PM

I hear chickenlegs going to chicken out this year and not show.

I heard you could start the ride now and chickenlegs would still whoop your ass.

~ I like beer and men

XXX

March 09, 2012, 10:17 PM

i heard chicken legs needs a beer at brocach.  any takers?   :-\

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

March 09, 2012, 10:19 PM

as if i cared.  last place is fine with me. 

here are two pics I poached of the trail

~ i like social d

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

March 09, 2012, 10:19 PM

i heard chicken legs needs a beer at brocach.  any takers?   :-\

I would but I have to get up for drill in the morning.

~ i like social d

XXX

March 12, 2012, 11:10 PM

My BALLS ride this year is a Scwinn Voyaguer from a pawn shop rebuilt with a Salsa WoodChipper and Brooks leather tape (thanks Nelson), Flux saddle,  XTR/CaneCreek brakes, LX/XTR derailleurs, Dura-Ace shifters, Chris King hubs on Velocity rims. I'll be running 1.9" Bontrager 29'er tires at around 40psi. 

I'm cutting/threading the spokes and lacing the wheels tomorrow night. Pic shows temp. wheels/tires and gold cable housing (will change to black)

I had most parts laying around, so this'll work for now. I might try and find a quality frame for next year. So far it's comfy and rolls smooth. We'll see how it fairs on the Cheese!

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

March 14, 2012, 09:58 AM

My BALLS ride this year is a Scwinn Voyaguer from a pawn shop rebuilt with a Salsa WoodChipper and Brooks leather tape (thanks Nelson), Flux saddle,  XTR/CaneCreek brakes, LX/XTR derailleurs, Dura-Ace shifters, Chris King hubs on Velocity rims. I'll be running 1.9" Bontrager 29'er tires at around 40psi. 

I'm cutting/threading the spokes and lacing the wheels tomorrow night. Pic shows temp. wheels/tires and gold cable housing (will change to black)

I had most parts laying around, so this'll work for now. I might try and find a quality frame for next year. So far it's comfy and rolls smooth. We'll see how it fairs on the Cheese!

Nice!  I am still debating my Jabberwocky or the 90s Raleigh "cross" frame I rescued.