•  

Is yer name MUD.....

Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

March 12, 2012, 08:55 AM

Hey all, this might be worth posting something on the main page of the site, but please stifle your enthusiasm to get out and ride at the local single track I would encourage you not to ride until you see that there is an OK on the trail status of this site or the do not ride signs are taken down at many of the trail systems. Despite the recent warm/dry temps the ground still needs to thaw which will make everything quite soft for another week or so.

I haven't seen any evidence of folks riding yet but please save me and many of the trail maintenance and building folks a headache of epic proportions and hit the road or rail trail. Thanks for keeping the trails in good shape and soon we will ride. :)

~ "No regrets, that's my motto. That and everybody wang chung tonight"

XXX

March 12, 2012, 09:26 AM

On a related note, the rail trails are nearly firm.  We road the Badger State from Purcell down to a few miles past the tunnel on sunday, the first half mile is pretty awful (which is typical for that section) then it firms up and there is only the occasional puddle.  We were on fat bikes which probably helped in some of the softer areas but I don't think a regular mountain bike tire would leave much more of an impression, a cross tire would probably leave a noticeable groove still.

We only saw one other bike the entire time and it happend to be Greg on the tractor, he turned around and rode back with us so we had a nice little phlock of fatties marching down the trail. Greg's tractor has to be one of the nicest bikes in the area.

Oh, and be very careful in the tunnel, there are basketball sized stalagmites of ice all over the floor on the north end that are perfectly designed for knocking over cyclists, especially those that forget to bring a light.

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

March 12, 2012, 01:42 PM

A few people were out yesterday leaving some ruts....... Come on people!!!
    XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

March 12, 2012, 01:57 PM

A few people were out yesterday leaving some ruts....... Come on people!!!

That surely bums me out. Well I hope it doesn't muck it up too bad.

~ "No regrets, that's my motto. That and everybody wang chung tonight"

XXX

March 12, 2012, 04:15 PM

I saw some tracks at quarry ridge too, although I think they were cyclocross tires.

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm
    Trail Steward

March 12, 2012, 06:03 PM

FWIW-I rode the farm friday night. Of course it was cold enough when I went out at 8PM  8)

~ Here uncultivated acres wait prime for adventure....back 40

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

March 12, 2012, 07:13 PM

perhaps we need to add another poster at the trailhead, beneath the "maintained by CORP" signs, that depicts a muddy, rutty, damaged course, with some sort of message like "this is what happens when you ride in mud.".....

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

March 12, 2012, 08:59 PM

I think Tim has a really good idea.  I have a graphic designer that can do this kind of work.  I know he is already somewhat engaged in the signage on some of our trails.

~ i like social d

XXX

March 12, 2012, 09:20 PM

I agree. I think most people that ride in the mud just don't know they're not supposed to. A sign would help a lot.

XXX

March 24, 2012, 04:55 PM

A sign with pictures would be nice.