•  

School me on 1x10 - worth the switch?

Q
    Bonner

July 16, 2013, 02:13 PM

So, my hardtail mo-sheen needs some drivetrain work. Currently, I have the XT 3-ring crankset, with the large ring removed...effectively giving me 18 gear combos. Rear is a 9-speed XT cassette. Rear derailleur is XTR (oh, baby!  ::) ).

I rarely, if ever, use the small chainring. As a result, my middle (or in this case, large) chainring gets all the abuse. I'm thinking a steel chainring up front (32t or maybe 34t?), and 9, 10, or 11 in the rear.

With a 1x9/10/11, does one even need a front shifter? I assume the derailleur stays in place, just to catch the chain if it pops off, but perhaps not.

Does BB spacing become an issue with 1x9/10/11?

Thanks for helping the mentally challenged.  :o

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

July 16, 2013, 02:30 PM

I'm running 1x10 this year on the RIP...I love it.  Won't go back to a front derailleur unless you see me fulfill my plans to do the BC Bike Race or something else similarly stupid in the big mountains.

I'm running a 30 tooth ring, paired with an 11-36 tooth cassette.

Cheapest way to do it would be to stay with 9 speed...you can use your current rear shifter and rear derailleur then.

As for a front chain keeper, I'd highly recommend it, UNLESS you're planning on upgrading to a 10 speed set up and getting a new Shadow+ (Shimano) or Type 2 (SRAM) rear derailleur.  These rear mechs really stabilize the chain helping to keep it on the single front ring.  I'd recommend a top guide like an MRP 1X or an e.thirteen XCX.  Take off the front derailleur and shifter.

How worn is your cassette/chain?  If it's not bad, all I would recommend getting would be a new chainring of your choice tooth count and the upper guide.  If you're having trouble because your middle ring is worn out really badly, I'd say your chain and cassette are likely worn and won't mesh well with your new chainring.  Then I'd say get a new cassette, chain, chain ring and top guide.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

July 16, 2013, 02:31 PM

FYI:  You won't be able to get an 11 speed cassette on your current wheels...they use a totally different freehub body.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

July 16, 2013, 02:32 PM

What wheels are you currently running?

XXX
    Q
    Bonner

July 16, 2013, 02:58 PM

I knew you'd have good advice, thanks Nate. Cassette is XTR, 2 years old and seems fine. Chain is XTR and seems OK, haven't inspected it too closely, though. Wheels are Sun Ringle Charger Pro. http://www.sun-ringle.com/mtb/wheelsets/charger-pro/

You must spin out quite easily with a 30t front, right? My current tallest gear is 32-11, and I'm often coasting at CamRock and Muir. That's why I was thinking of a slightly larger front, if possible.

BTW - I nodded at you from atop my moto this morning...but you didn't recognize me behind my tinted visor. Stealth mode.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:00 PM by Q »

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

July 16, 2013, 03:12 PM

30x11 on a 29" wheel at 90 rpm is 21.3 MPH

at 100 rpm it's 23.6 MPH. 

That's fast enough on a MTB for me.  Haven't spun it out yet...

The only place I've actually used a big chainring on the mountain bike is here...wide open long downhill in the desert.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

July 16, 2013, 03:18 PM

BTW - I nodded at you from atop my moto this morning...but you didn't recognize me behind my tinted visor. Stealth mode.

Definitely didn't notice you...

Do you have a bash ring on your current set up?

XXX
    Q
    Bonner

July 16, 2013, 04:01 PM

Bash ring, yes.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

July 16, 2013, 09:16 PM

I'll respond with a parts list tomorrow...

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

July 17, 2013, 08:08 AM

Q, if you're running a bash ring and want to keep it, you can get away with an inner chain guide suck as the N-gear Jump Stop.  Especially on a hardtail.  Just make sure the bash you have is large enough for the ring you choose if you're going to increase the size of your chainring bigger than the 32 tooth you probably have on there now.

Here's what I would buy...

http://www.jensonusa.com/Chainrings/Race-Face-Single-Ring-Chain-Ring
    Choose your color/tooth combo.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Chain-Tensioners-and-Guides/N-Gear-Jump-Stop-Chain-Guide
    Choose the same size as your current front derailleur clamp size...I'm guessing it's a 34.9mm.

That should be all you need...unless your chain and cassette are worn to the point of not working with the new chainring.

XXX
    Q
    Bonner

July 17, 2013, 08:58 AM

Fantastic - thank you, sir!

I assume the RaceFace chainring will fit the spider on the XT crank.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

July 17, 2013, 09:03 AM

It should.  I've run into trouble trying to go the other way (Shimano rings onto a Race Face cranks) but I ran Race Face rings on an XT crankset last year.

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

July 17, 2013, 11:48 AM

It should.  I've run into trouble trying to go the other way (Shimano rings onto a Race Face cranks) but I ran Race Face rings on an XT crankset last year.

Shimano rings are slightly smaller.
    XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

November 04, 2013, 11:57 AM

Seems like Shimano XT always is just a smidgen smaller. Like half a mm.

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

November 04, 2013, 11:59 AM

I really enjoy the 1x 8,9 or 10 setup. Especially around here.