•  

Trail Update 25Jul2013

Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

July 25, 2013, 08:49 AM

Walter spent the afternoon and evening trimming Holy Schist. Aside for a small section ending 300yds from the end, it should be clear.

I took the chainsaw out and cut 5 fallen trees, 2 on Gneiss & Smooth, 1 on Chert Dip, and 2 on Holy Schist. There are at least 2 more closer to the beginning of that section, and 1 new one somewhere on Over Lode.

The trails are open and surprisingly dry, although a few tacky areas may remain.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

July 25, 2013, 09:07 AM

FWIW, yesterday I spoke with the staff at Blue Mound about evaluating the trails for opening after a rain.

They are still, in my opinion, operating under the mind set that the ground is saturated and the tread isn't compacted. I verified yesterday that the dampness was surface only, and that the trails would not be harmed by riding them.

I was pleased to find that the staff members I spoke with were interested in my opinion and even better, they agreed that the trails should be open. The point that I was able to get across was that although the trails were damp and somewhat tacky, the dirt was firm underneath. This may offer an opening into a way to modify the decision making process at the park in a way that has the trails open more often, but still protects them.

This appears to be a significant improvement in our ability to work constructively with the Blue Mound Park staff. I will post any farther developments.

Walt

XXX

July 25, 2013, 10:17 AM

This appears to be a significant improvement in our ability to work constructively with the Blue Mound Park staff. I will post any farther developments.

Thanks Walt, it's good to hear some positive movement on softer side of trail work out there.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

July 27, 2013, 09:31 PM

Thanks Walt, it's good to hear some positive movement on softer side of trail work out there.

It's true Rich. Nothing but softness in my approach to management and also my riding. I'm pretty much lacking in hardness all around. Or so I've been told. Gotta work on that.

Walt

XXX

August 03, 2013, 09:37 AM

The Mound is open for riding as of 9:30 a.m. Saturday 8/3/2013. Call first to let them know your coming, and that there is strong interest in off riding at the park.