•  

Some excellent news

Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

October 27, 2014, 01:03 PM

I've taken the liberty of copying in full (minus privacy edits only) the email I just received from Blue Mounds Park Manager Kevin Swenson.

The tl:dr is the staff will now use the beginner section reroute to determine trail open status after rainfall.

(For those of you who have not followed events, the park staff has been using the mud holes on the first section of the beginner trail at Blue Mound to determine if the trails should be open or closed after a rainfall. Gary initiated the idea, and we put together a quick proposal to reroute the bad section of of trail a few weeks ago. We opened the new trail last weekend.)

RE: Bike Trail Reroute for Beginner Section
    To:   hougaswd <>
    cc: (to park staff)
    Date:   Mon, Oct 27, 2014 11:49 am

Walt - Thanks for the update.  We will move to inspect the new section instead
    of the old section and the Overlode section moving forward to determine the
    status of the MBT.

Thanks again for all you hard work.

Kevin M. Swenson

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:34 PM
    To: Swenson, Kevin M - DNR
    Cc: William, Gary
    Subject: Bike Trail Reroute for Beginner Section

Hi Kevin,

The reroute we started last weekend is roughed in as of Wednesday October 22nd.
    We will do additional finishing work on the new trail next year, but it can be
    ridden safely now. In particular, the new trail is much drier than the original
    trail and is much less slippery.
    Also, the streambed crossings are fewer, shorter, and better built than the old
    ones. We did not get very far with ditching and filling the trail in the areas
    with silty soil due to the excessive depth of black dirt. However, the area in
    which the new trail lies is much better drained than the original trail, and I
    am cautiously optimistic that it will perform adequately for the immediate
    future.

Gary and I will be in on Saturday to finish closing off the old trail.

I request that the park staff no longer use the original bike trail between the
    trail head and Pleasure Valley trail to determine the suitability of the trail
    for riding after rain.

I recommend the new trail should be used to determine trail open status instead.
    If you are not happy with using the new trail for that purpose, or you want to
    discuss anything about the rerouted trail, and how well it represents the trail
    as a whole, I would be pleased to discuss the matter with you at your
    convenience. I would be happy to walk the new trail with you.

I am pleased with the work we did, and I am confident it will be a big
    improvement to the bike trails in Blue Mound State Park. Thank you for your
    speedy approval of the proposal, I hope that you will find our work
    satisfactory.

Walter Hougas

cc to Co-Trail Stewards

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 01:16 PM by Walt Hougas »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

October 27, 2014, 02:19 PM

Well done everyone! A huge improvement...and more riding time :)

~ Chuck Hutchens