•  

Work Day Saturday April 11th

Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

April 07, 2015, 07:08 PM

There is a last minute change in the work calendar due the scrub of the Cam Rock event. There have been two illnesses in Chuck's extended family that he needs time to deal with. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your family members, Chuck.

Blue Mound will host a work day this Saturday. Please note the meeting place is completely different than usual.

We will meet at the top of the mound at the west (far) observation tower parking lot at 9AM on Saturday April 11.

If you show up at the pool lot, we won't be there. We will take the trail down off the top of the mound to Flintrock Trail, then on to our work site. We will be working on the far (as you will ride it) end of the Holy Schist Phase 2 reroute. Not the same as the boundary reroute from last year.

As of today the forecast is for 63 degrees and sunny, but things may change by the weekend. We will be working in an area with thorny brush. Work boots and gloves are recommended, as well as water and a snack.

Walt

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 07:12 PM by Walt Hougas »

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

April 08, 2015, 05:43 AM

I can't make this but have shared to the Sun Prairie Cycling Group.  A lot of mountain bikers not involved with CORP today but there's interest to get involved.

~ Look up on the wall baby, hand me down my shootin' iron.
    Call your mother long distance, tell her to expect your body home.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

April 08, 2015, 06:53 PM

Thanks Scot.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

April 08, 2015, 10:36 PM

This is awesome. Blue Mound is leading off the work days for the year! This must be a first. A sign of the improvements that all your hard work on the trail is paying off.
    Lets hope it means lots of riding in the year to come :)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

April 09, 2015, 07:15 AM

That is kind of you, Chuck.

We're continuing to fix problem areas. It is paying off, just not as fast as anyone would like.

Hope your family is OK.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

April 09, 2015, 02:27 PM

That is kind of you, Chuck.

We're continuing to fix problem areas. It is paying off, just not as fast as anyone would like.

Hope your family is OK.
    Thanks Walt. It looks like we will be OK. Two grandparents in the hospital right now. But hopefully both out within the next couple of days. The parents are not geting any younger though....
    I'm betting the trails won't be open this weekend ;D
    We are over 3 1/2 inches already, and it looks like more is coming. Yikes. Time to tie down Dave's Beaver Hole bridge.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

April 10, 2015, 12:40 PM

I'm interested in helping out. I'm new to this forum and to work days, should we bring any tools with us? (Shovel, rake, loppers)

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

April 10, 2015, 01:01 PM

I'm interested in helping out. I'm new to this forum and to work days, should we bring any tools with us? (Shovel, rake, loppers)
    Hi, and welcome! In general no tools are required unless specifically asked for. In this case, just show up with clothes you can get dirty, boots, work gloves (I prefer deer skin), water and a snack/lunch. Consider dressing in layers as it's going to start off cool and will warm up quickly, and the work will warm you up too. See you there!

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

April 11, 2015, 09:26 PM

We had a great turnout today. Thanks to Stephen, Bruce, Ryan, Scott, Garrett, Richard, Patricia, Jeremy, Mark, Robert, Dylan, Gary, and one or more people who's name I didn't retain (sorry!).

About the last third of the Holy Schist Phase 2 reroute got roughed in today. This reroute will improve an area that has been in bad shape for a while and is getting worse rapidly.

Conditions were not ideal, it was pretty wet in some areas. But it's still the first half of April, which is way early for Blue Mound.  We ended up with sunshine and 60s after a cold morning.

We had a couple of people show up today who are relatively new to the Madison area, or new to trail riding. Momentum may not be exactly the right word, but I think CORP is on a path that is generating more opportunities. We're striking a better balance between being a trail building club, and being an organization that gives riders a way to socialize together.

Today was a good start to what shows signs of being a great year. Hope to see you all out on the trails, soon.

Walt