•  

REI Stewardship Volunteer Workday - Sat June 27

Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

June 15, 2015, 10:56 PM

Come out to Blue Mound State Park and show your love for the trail by helping to reroute an eroded portion of the Holy Schist single-track bike trail. Work includes removing forest debris, small- to medium-sized rocks, vegetation, and if time allows, the top layer of soil. REI will supply REI Volunteer Stewardship t-shirts, lunch, fun prizes, water and snacks. Bring your work gloves and insect repellent. Wear pants for leg protection and enclosed footwear only (no sandals). Tools, instruction, and supervision will be provided. Note: The trail is about a 25-minute hike from the parking lot and there is no restroom at the site.

Meet at 8:30am at the parking lot for the west observation tower at the far end of the road that loops around the top of the mound. We'll hike to the site at 9am and work until 1pm.

Members of REI should register online:
    http://www.rei.com/event/67028/session/117334

Facebook event:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/878861455539378

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:44 AM by Gary S »

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

June 26, 2015, 09:51 AM

If anyone from CORP is going to be attending this who has experience trail building, Walter and I could use a hand leading the 28+ people that will be there.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

June 28, 2015, 07:03 AM

The REI work day is done. We had a great turnout. The Holy Schist Phase 2 reroute is roughed in and the old trail is history.

Due to the 1.5 " of rain last week, there are still wet spots on the new reroute and other places around the park. However, the new trail is sloped correctly and will not be losing big loads of soil every spring. Much work remains to be done to finish it properly. I'll be out this summer to complete chainsaw work, build streambed crossings, cut bench and other things.

In the longer term, Gary and I will be looking for ways to build water collection features to make the trail dry up better in the spring, but for now we've moved the trail uphill and reduced the length of problem areas for some immediate improvement. We're experiencing the second worst wet spring in the 13 years I've been riding Blue Mound, and in another week, it will be the worst. We have devoted hundreds of hours of labor and many, many more to thinking and scouting to find ways to minimize water problems at Blue Mound. I share your frustration with not being able to ride out there. The best I can offer is we haven't let difficult circumstances discourage us from continuing to work toward better trails in every way.

Big thanks are due to everyone who came out Saturday, including CORP regulars Gary, William, Rick, Mark, Patricia, Ryan, and Peter. REI's Kathleen Witman and her assistant put together a much appreciated support effort. Thanks Kathleen!

Walt