•  

DNR Master Plan Amendment - Land Use

TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

September 17, 2015, 06:54 AM

I also think it of a testament to the good relations that exist between mountain bikers and other trail users that there weren't many (any? There weren't any in the stats) letters etc against the development of mountain biking in the park.
    Great point! That is a testament to all of the years of work Walt and Gary have put in with the Friends group, Park Staff, and all of the connections they have made over the years as ambassadors for mountain biking.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

November 24, 2015, 02:54 PM

Blue Mound Public Hearing for the Draft Amendment to the Master Plan
    Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2015
    Time: 5 PM

Master Plan Info

The draft includes a recommendation to allow CORP to complete Pokerville Trail. It also recommends the closure of parts of Over Lode Trail. The initial closure will probably take place next spring, and almost the entire trail will eventually be closed. The DNR’s ecological survey revealed the presence of rare birds and bats on the eastern edge of Pleasure Valley, and they feel the best response is to close most of the trail in that area to make it more suitable for the animals.

We like birds and bats and want them to continue doing well, as they currently are in the presence of bikers, runners, hikers, and hunters.  We feel that the DNR is failing to balance the value of the trail to its users compared to the relatively minimal increased value it has to its animal inhabitants as a habitat closed to silent sport trail users.

The trail was built with part of a $10,000 donation to the park by REI corporation. Volunteers provided all the labor. Professionally built trails cost $3-$5 per foot, and we will be losing close to 4 miles of trail all told.

The trail is part of a system that generates revenue for the state parks by selling trail passes. At a time when the legislature has zeroed out the operating budget for state parks, it seems incredible that the DNR is eliminating a source of revenue, however small.

The hearing will allow members of the public to register on site and speak. There will be representatives from the DNR present to listen to anyone who wants to comment on their plan.

Please attend the hearing and let the DNR know you want them not to close any part of Over Lode Trail.

XXX

November 24, 2015, 03:24 PM

It is ironic that rare birds all of the sudden show up right where the snow mobile trail is proposed to go.  Sorry, it's just too convenient  I will be there to voice my concern.

XXX
    Gary S
    Administrator

November 24, 2015, 07:28 PM

It is ironic that rare birds all of the sudden show up right where the snow mobile trail is proposed to go.  Sorry, it's just too convenient  I will be there to voice my concern.
    Actually, it's where the desired location of the snowmobile trail was. The route proposed in the draft does not go through Pleasure Valley, rather, it follows the road, then crosses into the park and on to private land.

XXX

November 30, 2015, 03:42 PM

About the snowmobile trail:
         - As an ecologist, I don't have a problem with it as it sticks to the road corridor area and doesn't impact natural areas much.
         - As a silent sport enthusiast, I'd rather not have it in our nice, quite Blue Mounds.
         - As a mountain biker looking for allies, maybe we should talk to the snowmobile guys and see if we support this snowmoible trail, that they will support keeping Overload open (and maybe sharing snowmobile trails throughout the county with fat bikes?)

XXX

November 30, 2015, 04:16 PM

Walt, after reading your announcement posted yesterday, I wanted to clarify the precise conservation issue and nomenclature with you a bit.

First, I think you are right on about the impact of Over-Load on the "forest". The trail is extremely narrow (1.5" is generous in most cases), it has no impact on forest canopy or understory structure and especially with the way it enters and leaves the "Pleasure Valley Woods" has very little impact as a corridor for entry.

Furthermore, the traffic on the trail is extremely light... do you have any numbers for that? I would guess it would be no more than 2000-4000 trail users per year. Arguing this could be a double-edged sword however. On the one hand it shows the low-impact of the trail, on the other, it suggests it isn't used much an is, as such expendable. I would say its 'solitude' is precisely what makes it so valuable, and such a draw to the outdoors people looking to get away from humanity for a little while. I don't know about you, but I really get the feeling like I'm out in the middle of nowhere in the woods when I'm on that trail, and its a good feeling.

OK, a quick primer on edge effects: larger "core habitats" are more valuable for animals with more specialized habitat needs, such as the songbirds discussed in the rapid ecological assessment. Larger core habitats means better quality habitat with better resources for the birds, more room for more mating pairs and therefore greater reproductive success.

Edges are bad for these core-loving critters. It goes both ways, for example: many prairie songbirds won't breed successfully in any less than 100 acres of grassland. So for prairie birds, the presence of trees causes habitat fragmentation. For these forest birds, they need large chunks of interior forest. Trails, roads and such can bisect these forests, causing habitat fragmentation to the point that interfere with reproductive success in a number of ways.

The primary concern here, I believe, is brood parasitism by cowbirds. It is not predatory birds, so be clear on that. Cowbirds are birds of fields, edges and disturbed areas (originally they were prairie/savanna birds that followed bison and elk around). As an adaptation to their mobile lifestyle, they do not raise their own young. They find the nest of another songbird, lay their own eggs in the nest and then kick out a few of the  songbirds eggs. As a result, the (in this case forest) birds are duped into raising the cowbirds offspring for them. Since they are busy raising the cowbirds young instead of their own, the "nesting success" is reduced, they may not be able to raise enough of their own offspring to effectively maintain their population.

In an idealized situation, the forest songbirds' population should be slowly growing over time. The surplus songbirds can then disperse to new forest tracks to colonize them. These are called "source" populations that are healthy and growing.

There is actually a threshold where, the impacts of edge effects, in many cases largely including (but not limited to) cowbird nest parasitism, actually cause the songbird population to be a "sink". Though the songbirds are present in the forest, they are not reproducing fast enough to maintain a population level. Instead, songbirds from other locations are migrating to the area to pick up the slack. In this way, cowbird predation and other subtitle impacts of poor habitat quality, that might not even be apparent to the birds themselves, can reduce songbird populations on a regional level. This effect is known as an "ecological trap"

A google search of any of the key terms I marked bold in this post will provide you with some reading material if you'd like to know more.

But the gist of it is, as you rightly stated, that Overload is a very small, low-traffic trail that I don't think could possibly have any impact on inducing edge effects or fragmenting the Pleasure Valley Woodland.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:13 PM by GoodOak »

XXX
    nor
    Trail Steward - Cross Plains
    Trail Steward

November 30, 2015, 04:18 PM

Is there an official stance from the club on this issue?

It appears the state wants to keep a certain mileage at the park and the closing of most of the overload trail accomplishes this.  Is there any insight as to whether the closing will happen for sure or not?  Based on the "recommendations"  its going to happen.

~ crushing it

XXX

November 30, 2015, 05:04 PM

OK, so here is my personal take on this as an ecological restoration professional: In brief, the Pleasure Valley Woodland was not historically a forest environment, and therefore managing the site for forest birds, which are not endemic to the "natural" habitat conditions in Pleasure Valley Woods, is an extremely misguided effort.

In its "original", "pristine" condition the area was a complex of open woodland, savanna and prairie. The fact that it is today largely forested is a result of mismanagement (or more realistically, lack of management) of our natural resources over the latter half of the 20th century. The site is not a "southern mesic forest" it is degraded "oak woodland" and "oak opening" (AKA, oak savanna).

Check this out, these are the actual surveyor's notes from 1832. The page on the right is the notes from the mile they traveled from Mounds Park Rd, along the north edge of the park, eastward towards Brigham: http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/SurveyNotes/SurveyNotes-idx?type=article&byte=69656&isize=XL&twp=T007NR006E

They went right through the rather deep valley of Pleasure Valley Creek, crossing “a rapid creek” at 53 chains. In the entire mile they did not intersect a single tree (can you imagine how many trees you'd run into today walking a mile through these woods?!?). They used 2 black oak and 1 white oak to mark the section corners at either end as well as one post since there were not a second tree near enough to the end of the section line to provide a second reference point. No mention is made of maples or any other tree species other than oaks, and the terrain is described as “3rd rate Timber Oak” (third-rate referring to lumber value), which generally means thin tree cover and not the straight-trunked forest trees loggers would be looking for.

Now look at this areal photo from 1937:

First of all, lots of open land that has since succeeded to forest. More specifically, if you look carefully at the "core" of Pleasure Valley Woods (click on it to zoom-in) you'll see a lot of open land. Some of this is definitely human-caused clearing (anthropogenic impacts) but there also seems to be a lot of space between the trees and even some open areas or shrublands. Today the area is, of course, almost entirely forested. Not because this is the "natural" condition for this area, but because a lack of management actions to maintain this open habitat type has left it to degrade to a forest condition as weedy trees invaded the open woodland, savanna and prairie habitats.

Managing the Pleasure Valley Woods for less than a handful of forest songbirds is misguided, when there are dozens of species of savanna and woodland plant and animal species in the area, many of which are of similar or greater conservation concern than these few forest birds. Among the organisms listed in Appendix D of the Rapid Ecological Assessment, most of the rare animal species, and nearly all of the rare plants would be favored by habitat restoration to woodland, savanna and prairie conditions. Indeed oak savanna itself is "critically imperiled globally". So why the proposal to focus management on a few birds that inhabit forest, a community type which already dominates the landscape north of the Military Ridge to the Wisconsin River bottomlands?

OK, stepping off my high horse now. I'll try to be more succinct and on-point tomorrow night.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:29 PM by GoodOak »

XXX

November 30, 2015, 05:23 PM

Wow, thanks for the insight. I wrote to the DNR last week, and I look forward to the meeting tomorrow.

From the draft plan: "Once all of these changes are implemented, up to 13.4 miles of off-road singletrack will be available and offer opportunities for all skill levels."

All skill levels? Where will the beginner trail be? I don't have a ton of building experience, but it seems like it would take a monumental effort to move enough roots and rocks to create a relatively smooth, beginner-friendly singletrack. Over Lode isn't exactly a beginner trail, but I really appreciate how smooth it is after tackling Holy Schist. It's my favorite trail in the park, and I'd hate to see it go!

XXX
    Gary S
    Administrator

November 30, 2015, 06:15 PM

I'm not sure who's qualified to write the CORP "official" stance, but infer what you will from what's been officially posted on FB and on the forums, as well as emailed out.  There is quite a bit of good in the draft amendment that is overshadowed, unfortunately, with the closure of most of Over Lode.

There is hope that Over Lode can still be saved.  Aside from ecological impact, there is a good deal of concern about sustainability and grade in some areas, along with the two creek crossings: the 1st crossing that changes from year to year and probably should have a bridge, and the bridge further down.  We had provided plans that would fix these issues that may not have been included in the assessment and recommendation for closure, and Walter will submit these plans along with his written comments.  Basically, we need to come up with an alternative to the proposed plan, explain it, while arguing that our trails only minimally impact the ecology.  We also have to argue that adding a couple miles of MTB trails to the park is both reasonable and desirable.

Your best bet is to simply support CORP's vision.  Support the majority of the amendment (trail improvements, Pokerville completion).  Argue that Over Lode trail has little impact on ecology given that, like all the MTB trail, it was built without affecting the tree canopy and is only 1 to 1.5 ft wide.  Even though Over Lode has issues, they are fixable, and much of the trail is well built. Argue that Over Lode needs to remain a loop structure and that you support CORP's vision to make the trail sustainable.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

November 30, 2015, 06:35 PM

Wow, thanks for the insight. I wrote to the DNR last week, and I look forward to the meeting tomorrow.

From the draft plan: "Once all of these changes are implemented, up to 13.4 miles of off-road singletrack will be available and offer opportunities for all skill levels."

All skill levels? Where will the beginner trail be? I don't have a ton of building experience, but it seems like it would take a monumental effort to move enough roots and rocks to create a relatively smooth, beginner-friendly singletrack. Over Lode isn't exactly a beginner trail, but I really appreciate how smooth it is after tackling Holy Schist. It's my favorite trail in the park, and I'd hate to see it go!

There are a couple of things going on:

-We made a proposal to the DNR last summer that included rebuilding Gneiss and Smooth, Chert Dip, and Serpentine Climb into a real beginner loop. I've asked the Friends of Blue Mound to help pay for hiring a professional trail builder to do the work because it's too much to do by hand. Looks like this will happen as far as the amendment process goes.

-The DNR posted its Draft Amendment a couple of weeks ago. They propose to close a big chunk of Over Lode Trail because it passes through an area where rare songbirds breed, and they think the trails cause cow birds, robins, and blue jays to move into the area and prey upon (or parasatize in the case of the cow bird) the nests of the song birds.

The beginner trail issue is probably going to work out. All parties are in favor.

The closure of Over Lode is in the Draft Amendment, but that does not mean it's a done deal. If enough people make the same points, it may sway the DNR to rethink the trail closure. The points are:

-The presence of predatory birds in the area the DNR wants to protect does not mean the bike trails guided them in. The ecology science papers the DNR cites are the result of studies done near large urban areas (Boulder CO, Chicago, IL) in parks with much higher human visitor use, on trails that are wider than Over Lode Trail.

-The area the DNR wants to protect has abandoned service roads cutting across it. If the predatory birds follow human pathways into the forest interior, it seems more likely they would find an 8 foot wide roadway and follow it rather than an 18" wide bike trail.

-The DNR points out some of the trail is eroded and the slope is too steep to be sustainable. This is true. We have been asking permission for at least 5 years to fix these problems and have been refused permission by DNR employees because they stated to me that we had to wait for the amendment process to be resolved before permission could be granted. We were told tonight that the maintenance problems alone mean the trail must be closed. This is a clear abuse of authority in my opinion.

Walt

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

November 30, 2015, 09:16 PM

This is a copy of the map I took to my meeting with Dana White-Quamm and then new Park Manager Kevin Swenson in June 2011. In the upper right corner of the part labeled "Pleasure Valley Trail" there are a couple of red lines indicating proposed reroutes to eliminate the steep, loose, rocky downhill leading to the bridge.

The caption for the red lines reads "Proposed bypass in Over Lode Build lower section first? Race could avoid gravel. Upon completing upper, reverse ride direction."

I was informed that my proposal could not be considered until the amendment process was completed to decide the fate of Over Lode Trail. The DNR has been sitting on this proposal for five years. Now the state of the trail in this area is cause to close the trail. Not a good way to care for the public land.

Walt

XXX

December 01, 2015, 08:43 AM

Its ironic to hear that they consider trail erosion as an issue. As you said Walt, you've been wanting to fix the problems for a while.

Also, one of the most eroded ares us that strip you were/are planning to bypass, which is an old road bed. Additionally, a lot of the erosion is due to the weedy/over-abundant maples closing the canopy, resulting in loss of ground layer plants leaving the ground bare and increasing water run-off.

The trails not the problem, management is the problem.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

December 01, 2015, 10:03 AM

It's important to know we have a far more responsive and open minded relationship with some DNR staff than others.

The way a few staff members ignored and handled communication that started in 2011 gives the impression they wanted to manage some aspects of the trails into failure.

It's really important to remember that DNR contacts we have dealt with are split between superb public servants and people who are not. We can't be mad at the whole because of a few.

We're no way against the ecology issues, but we were told the park gets 170,000 visitors a year and they use a study for a property that gets 3.5 million visitors per year. In one meeting it was clear DNR staff were daft to some corridors that exist from service roads and abandoned roads. This information has me thinking the right solution is adjust existing trail as we've asked to do for years, and have the DNR spend $10,000 fixing the wide corridors in the area vs $10,000 to destroy $100,000 of narrow trail that doesn't have an effect on the canopy overhead.

Maybe the DNR should spend some money on deer, coyote and skunk training if they're not going to repair or eliminate their own road grades? Those deer, coyote and skunk corridors are far closer to the ones the ones we use than a few road grades in that part of the park.

XXX

December 01, 2015, 02:54 PM

I want to be clear that cowbird nest parasitism, edge effects and and issues that the DNR staff are citing as concerns for closing the trails, are very well studied ecological issues. Its not just two papers, there have been hundreds, probably thousands on this issue. In this case the writers of the Rapid Ecological Assessment were just "lazy" and chose two poor examples.

My point is that its important that we not focus on these two papers specifically, but the issues overall. Yes, its apples and oranges: a park with 3.5M visitors vs a park with 170k visitors. The natural community types are COMPLETELY different as well. Trail widths are an issue with the other paper, even though the habitat there is more similar.

While I think its important to address these disparities, I think we have to also be addressing the issue as a whole, which in the case of a trail this small, is really a non-issue.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:48 AM by GoodOak »