•  

$400 Budget 27.5 Possible?

June 26, 2018, 10:30 AM

So I recently gave my 2003 Rockhopper to my 14 year old son and am in need of a new ride. I would really like to keep my budget at $400 so I can get a new rider sooner then later. I am 40 years old and don't plan on hurdling myself down single track at mach 5 anymore, but would like to ride some single track every so often. I figure most of my riding will be paved and groomed gravel/dirt type trails. Hoping some folks provide some suggestions on what $400 options I have. One bike I have been considering is the Nashbar 27.5 for $325. It seems to have decent specs for the money. Thanks in advance.

~ Regards,
    Snyperx

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

June 27, 2018, 09:19 AM

So I recently gave my 2003 Rockhopper to my 14 year old son and am in need of a new ride. I would really like to keep my budget at $400 so I can get a new rider sooner then later. I am 40 years old and don't plan on hurdling myself down single track at mach 5 anymore, but would like to ride some single track every so often. I figure most of my riding will be paved and groomed gravel/dirt type trails. Hoping some folks provide some suggestions on what $400 options I have. One bike I have been considering is the Nashbar 27.5 for $325. It seems to have decent specs for the money. Thanks in advance.

That budget might be low if you have some passion for this and intend to ride a fair amount. I would be looking at the Mongoose bikes. Their product managers, designers and support staff are visible on our local trails and care for our Seminole trails so I've seen their stuff. It's really nice for the money. They had their bikes at one of our fundraisers and I think it was a Tyax that had plus tires and seemed pretty darn good for the price.

Nothing against Nashbar but those Mongoose bikes I've seen really looked nice and some of us here know their staff really tries hard to have great bikes for the money. A few associates of mine got their fat bikes per my recommendation and they've been very happy. I've had their CX/gravel bikes in mind for one of my kids.

XXX

June 27, 2018, 11:28 AM

I have no experience with mongoose (glad they support our trails though!)

If you look at similar posts on other forums you'll be told to buy used at that price. Especially in a hard tail, you'll get a lot more bang for the buck in that price range. I would tend to agree with that recommendation

I used to sell Trek bikes in that price, it killed me. They almost always came back with taco rims and shifting issues that were hard to correct. Suspension forks in that range are typically terrible too.

XXX

June 29, 2018, 09:27 AM

I am expanding my budget to no more then $800. I did additional reading etc and the $400 price point isn't going to cut it. I have been eyeing a 2018 Specialized Pitch Comp $700 and Pitch Expert $800.

~ Regards,
    Snyperx

XXX

June 29, 2018, 09:40 AM

Any reason you're sold on Specialized bikes?  Giant and Mongoose offer some extra value in that range.  Trek has a nice local presence and the Marlin is in that range (or spring a little more for the base level X-Caliber.  Probably some decent other bikes and closeouts around local shops too (Cannondale, Kona). 

XXX

June 29, 2018, 09:49 AM

Have been happy with my Rockhopper. Have had it 15 years. I like Erik's Bikes as well. Honestly it overwhelming the number of choices. Another thing I am trying to avoid is buying to much bike for what I need. Honestly will probably be seeing 80% pavement with a trip here and there to some singletrack.

~ Regards,
    Snyperx

XXX

June 30, 2018, 04:05 PM

Well I completely went the other way. I hit the Trek Store on the Westside today and decided to try a Marlin 6 29er. I was dead set on the DS3 and ended up getting the Marlin 6 for $540. I took the Marlin 6 on a test ride and liked it the more I was on it. Go Figure....LOL. Will probably end up upgrading a few things like the fork eventually which was a similar path I took with my Rockhopper. Also figure I will pickup a second wheelset and have some street tires installed just like I did with my Rockhopper.

~ Regards,
    Snyperx