•  

Night Riding?

Aged_Cheddar
    Been there, done that, threw my back out...

September 21, 2020, 07:52 AM

OK, so with fall/winter coming in, I'm going to try and get as much fall riding as I can, so night riding is going to be a thing for me this fall (first time)...But I'm not sure which trails permit night riding.

So, rather than try and figure out what trails I "can" ride, it might be easier to tell me which ones I "can't" ride...

For example, I think Blackhawk closes at dark correct? But Camrock does permit night riding up to like 10PM correct?

Anywhere else?

Thanks!

XXX

September 21, 2020, 08:58 AM

I’m not sure about the 10pm statement at camrock, but there is a restriction on the cliff edge trail.  It runs fairly close to a residential property so we do not allow lights on that part of the trail.

XXX
    Aged_Cheddar
    Been there, done that, threw my back out...

September 21, 2020, 09:05 AM

I’m not sure about the 10pm statement at camrock...

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure there....I just thought I read somewhere that Dane County parks close @ 10PM...I could be totally wrong about that though.

XXX

September 21, 2020, 10:04 AM

Pleasant View allows night riding. If there is a curfew I am not familiar with it.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

September 21, 2020, 01:55 PM

OK, so with fall/winter coming in, I'm going to try and get as much fall riding as I can, so night riding is going to be a thing for me this fall (first time)...But I'm not sure which trails permit night riding.

So, rather than try and figure out what trails I "can" ride, it might be easier to tell me which ones I "can't" ride...

For example, I think Blackhawk closes at dark correct? But Camrock does permit night riding up to like 10PM correct?

Anywhere else?

Thanks!

Pleasant View allows night riding. If there is a curfew I am not familiar with it.

People ride Blackhawk and Pleasant View in the dark (and that's a reminder to start recruiting fat bike groomers). The important parts to remember are both close the gates at dark and for Blackhawk when scheduled events and programs are done, plus don't be in the way of scheduled events. It's also important to respect our the private land owner between the two properties and be a Blackhawk member if you ride both.

Your Blackhawk membership gives you gate info, and you can park outside of Pleasant View. If you park at the cel tower never crowd out the ability for a few service vehicles to be there. You can ride up to Pleasant View via the South Fork trail.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

September 21, 2020, 04:34 PM

As far as I know, no trails (other than Cliff Edge at CamRock) have any restrictions on night riding.  If they do, they aren't enforced.  Respect other users and neighbors, and have a good time!

This is the third time in a week or so I've heard of BH closing at dark; I'm not sure where that rumor started, but it is only that.

XXX

May 01, 2023, 09:24 PM

As far as I know, no trails (other than Cliff Edge at CamRock) have any restrictions on night riding.  If they do, they aren't enforced.  Respect other users and neighbors, and have a good time!

This is the third time in a week or so I've heard of BH closing at dark; I'm not sure where that rumor started, but it is only that.

I'll be late to this party, as a ski patroller at Blackhawk and a patrol group that uses the west Chalet Thursday nights we are often there late. Most programing I think ends by dark with a few exceptions and we are told once done shut and lock the gates.

I also know pope farm used to close the gates at dark(might still do it). It was actually a family friend and the land owner/farmer adjacent to Blackhawk who would come close the gates nightly then open them at dawn. Opposite side from the Erdman trail. So maybe that's where it started?