•  

Looking Up, or the desirability of checking the weather forecast.

Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

July 19, 2012, 08:32 AM

Last night I finally got out to Blue Mound to cut several of the trees that had fallen over the trails.

The big one in Over Lode at the second ravine crossing is now history.

I finished cutting the down tree about a quarter mile back from 5-Corners just as it started to rain. On the walk back to the Gator at the intersection, the rain started to pour down. The light faded, then it got very bright. The wind picked up. I started to feel nervous and began to hurry.

I'm not sure what made me stop, but it just seemed like a bad idea to keep going with my eyes on the trail. I squinted up into the downpour and saw that directly ahead, the upper branches of the trees were whipping back and forth in a way that didn't look good. Then, right about where I would have been if I hadn't hesitated, a large branch slammed down on the trail.

Driving the Gator back up John Minix trail toward the parking lot, I kept looking back up at the tree tops and stopped several times when the ones ahead of me started whipping. The trail was completely blocked by fallen branches at one point. I had to get out to pull them off, and tweaked my back pulling on a big one. I couldn't move the last branch, but fortunately the Gator was able to roll over it. I doubt that I could have started the chain saw in the heavy rain.

Walt

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

July 19, 2012, 10:13 AM

Last night I finally got out to Blue Mound to cut several of the trees that had fallen over the trails.

The big one in Over Lode at the second ravine crossing is now history.

I finished cutting the down tree about a quarter mile back from 5-Corners just as it started to rain. On the walk back to the Gator at the intersection, the rain started to pour down. The light faded, then it got very bright. The wind picked up. I started to feel nervous and began to hurry.

I'm not sure what made me stop, but it just seemed like a bad idea to keep going with my eyes on the trail. I squinted up into the downpour and saw that directly ahead, the upper branches of the trees were whipping back and forth in a way that didn't look good. Then, right about where I would have been if I hadn't hesitated, a large branch slammed down on the trail.

Driving the Gator back up John Minix trail toward the parking lot, I kept looking back up at the tree tops and stopped several times when the ones ahead of me started whipping. The trail was completely blocked by fallen branches at one point. I had to get out to pull them off, and tweaked my back pulling on a big one. I couldn't move the last branch, but fortunately the Gator was able to roll over it. I doubt that I could have started the chain saw in the heavy rain.

Walt

Thanks for your work.

I think you need to reassess your telco and Internet costs to get a hot spot or smart phone in your hand. My radar app helped me turn around and switch gears from trail work to small business accounting and parenting.

:)

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

July 19, 2012, 10:24 AM

Doh, sorry to hear that Walter.  I hope your back is OK.  Checking the short-term forecast would have been a good idea last night.  We were supposed to go to Spring Green for a play, but didn't even leave the house.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

July 19, 2012, 10:36 AM

Who would have thought that it would actually rain?

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

July 20, 2012, 12:29 AM

Who would have thought that it would actually rain?
    Glad you got out OK Walt.

And who would have thought tonight's little league tournament in Marshall would be cold and misty all night :o I refused to put on a jacket or complain though. It felt good to feel cold for once. And I will not complain about moisture in any form tonight.

The neighbor farmer I talked with checked 500 corn plants today. He found four ears of corn. The season is over. He will get a few dollars to sell it as poor-quality silage to a dairy farmer. That guy is happy to have something to feed his cows to keep them alive, quality is not a concern at this point. He will gladly sacrifice milk production to be able to keep his cows. My problems in life are minor..... :'(

~ Chuck Hutchens