•  

A map user guide

Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

August 19, 2012, 08:21 PM

More mappage.

Probably most riders can figure out the new trail post maps without any guidance. But for those who want help, I'll be putting the attached guide in the kiosk at the trail head. Or something similar.

Walt

[attachment deleted by admin]

XXX

August 22, 2012, 09:15 PM

Hi Walt! As a new rider I just wanted to say thanks for the great work getting the trails marked! They were really helpful in finding my way around and telling where I was.

Did learn I need to keep a better eye out next time I head out there. Really meant to do the Pleasure Valley/Overload trail across the road, but ended up riding the trail out Chert Dip and Serpentine Climb. Kinda wondered how those were the easier trails. :-)

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

August 23, 2012, 09:02 AM

Did learn I need to keep a better eye out next time I head out there. Really meant to do the Pleasure Valley/Overload trail across the road, but ended up riding the trail out Chert Dip and Serpentine Climb. Kinda wondered how those were the easier trails. :-)

Hi PW,

Navigation at Blue Mound is pretty dicey the first few times through for most of us!

The critical intersection is the first gravel road crossing. Right, and across the blacktop puts you into Pleasure Valley. That leads to either Over Lode or Pokerville. Straight through that intersection takes you into Chert Dip, Serpentine Climb and maybe Holy Schist.

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

August 23, 2012, 09:07 AM

More mappage!

The remainder of the marker post trail signs have been printed, cut, and laminated. Most of these will go up within the next 2-3 weeks. I still have to set posts on Home Stretch, the top of Kipp's Climb, and the intersection where Over Lode joins back into the Beginner Section.

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

August 28, 2012, 08:12 PM

Even more map goodness.

The marker post maps are now mounted to chunks of outdoor grade plywood, holes drilled and countersunk.

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

August 30, 2012, 06:54 AM

Gary and I put most of the signs up last night. Holy Schist is completed.

-Home Stretch still remains to be done, I need to set posts and put up signs at G2, H1, and H2.
    -The intersection of Over Lode and the Gneiss and Smooth needs a post and sign. I will go back and add 2 posts and signs at 5 Corners to direct traffic.
    - A couple of the posts, one at Toilet Bowl, the other just before that, F4 and F5, were set poorly, are in danger of falling over, and will eventually have to be reset. They are probably good enough for now.
    -The end of Basalt (edit: and Pepper) Bail needs a sign. Does anyone ride this? I think it's mostly used by snowshoe enthusiasts.

Pretty close to done with signage for the year.

Walt

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:37 PM by Walt Hougas »

XXX

August 30, 2012, 02:57 PM

Basalty Bail?

From the top of Serpentine back over to the doubletrack return to the pool.....right?

I ride that a lot!  Not that I need a map.....

Most of my rides don't ecompass Schist and I peel left onto Basalty at the top of Serpentine.

That is also the route I recommend to first timers if they don't want to tackle Schist.

~ I like beer and men

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

August 30, 2012, 06:35 PM

Basalty Bail?

From the top of Serpentine back over to the doubletrack return to the pool.....right?

I ride that a lot!  Not that I need a map.....

Most of my rides don't ecompass Schist and I peel left onto Basalty at the top of Serpentine.

That is also the route I recommend to first timers if they don't want to tackle Schist.

Arrgh! You think I'd have this straight by now...

I meant Basalt and Pepper Bail. The one right after Basalty Bail. I see it as being redundant-it's only about 250 yards after Basalty Bail. It is badly eroded in a couple of places. It made sense when it was the end of the singletrack,  I have ridden maybe once in years. Just wondering if any bike riders out there feel differently.

Walt

XXX

August 30, 2012, 06:54 PM

If I go straight from the parking lot to Schist.....then I ride Basalt and Pepper (backwards) to the beginning of Schist.....but that's the only time!

~ I like beer and men

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

August 30, 2012, 07:54 PM

If I go straight from the parking lot to Schist.....then I ride Basalt and Pepper (backwards) to the beginning of Schist.....but that's the only time!

Well, that's more use than I thought!

Thanks Bear.

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

September 05, 2012, 09:39 PM

Two more posts set tonight at G2, and H1. I attached their signs too.

3 hours work because the one at H1 took 5 tries to get a hole deep enough in the ground.

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

September 08, 2012, 08:17 PM

The big day arrived today. I put in the last sign post for 2012. There are now rescue signs (the small ones with the letter-number identification) approximately every 1/4 mile around the mound. I've finished what I promised to the park manager for this year. I realize this project is fairly meaningless for most of you who know how to get around Blue Mound, but it's important to Kevin Swenson, the not-so-new park manager at Blue Mound. I am conflicted about it: the trails show poorly to new users, but there are so many other things I'd rather be doing!

Posts were set at H2 (Home Stretch) and B3 (Intersection of Gneiss & Smooth and Over Lode) for the rescue sign project. I hung the rescue signs on them along with color-coded directional signs.

I set a post at D1 (Five Corners) at the point where Serpentine Climb splits off of Willow Springs Trail, and switched the rescue sign there. I hung a color coded directional sign at the post where Chert Dip intersects Willow Springs trail.

I hung color coded directional signs at D3 (Basalty Bail), and at G1 (Holy Schist).

I cut downed trees in the Beginner Section  (near A2), Basalty Bail (near D4), and Serpentine Climb (C7). (Sorry Mike, no time to make a log over).

See the attached graphic for an example of the color coordinated directional arrows. This one was installed at the end of Pokerville where it connects back into the Beginner section. These arrows work with the rescue signs in the concept that there are 4 ways (loops) to ride the trails:

Green = Short Mound = Gneiss & Easy + Chert Dip + Serpentine Climb + Basalty Bail
    Red = Long Mound = same as above without BB + Holy Schist + Home Stretch
    Light Blue = Over Lode Short = G & E to Over Lode, back to G & E + Chert Dip + Serpentine Climb + BB
    Dark Blue = Over Lode Long = same as above, skip BB + Holy Schist + Home Stretch.

Then there's Pokerville (Orange)....

Of course, there are many other ways to put the pieces together, but in the interest of making things simple, I chose to limit the signs to the options above.

Walt

XXX

September 15, 2012, 11:23 AM

amazing and sick jobs done! loving those wooden signs!

~ It's not the ride, it's the rider.
    Go big or go home.
    Know what you are up against.