•  

Is this going to compromise MBP?

September 20, 2013, 10:20 AM

The article doesn't mention anything about the bike park, but by the description of where it is, it sounds like it's right on top of the park.  If so, do we have a statement to go along with Trout Unlimited and other orgs opposing it? 
    http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/writers/mike_ivey/paul-soglin-calls-erdman-plan-for-middleton-development-a-horrendous/article_d0f39f2c-2169-11e3-b72d-0019bb2963f4.html

XXX

September 20, 2013, 10:44 AM

I love the comment about Soglin riding his bike out there and telling people how to live. Pretty much sums up one of the reasons to block the development, because you actually CAN ride a bike all the way to PV.

XXX

September 20, 2013, 11:04 AM

I like how replacing an existing corn field is going to lessen the chemicals going into the stream. Has anyone seen how much fertilizer and chemicals go onto fancy lawns these days? The sidewalks and roads make a perfect stream route right into the waterways.

Also, no talk about the organic farm this is all centered around? It'll be a loooooooong time before a conventional corn field is certified organic.  :o

I keep shaking my head every time I hear more news about this...

~ Go Big or Go Home

XXX

September 20, 2013, 02:07 PM

I've seen this time and time again...proposed development, city council sees $$, environment gets honorable mention but is ultimately forgotten. It will be interesting to see how this plays out since it's in the headwaters of Black Earth Creek. Cyclones30 is right, agriculture or urban - they both come with problems. Oddly, I spent the last several years researching the effect of climate change on BEC. Part of that analysis was future build-out of the watershed. The outcome was not pretty. But what do I know, I'm just some nerdy scientist.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

September 20, 2013, 05:05 PM

Responding to a few points or themes in these posts...

There might be a compromise to the edge near the jump like or the jump line but PRFC members and Erdman staff said they recognize this has been done with grant money and countless volunteer hours will work with us. My explicit request for the Erdman staff to mark where their proposed street would go has not yet been answered.

It appears a farm has more leeway to work and change wetlands than others, and "green" sells. The farm and "new ruralism" spin make sense to me.

We had a few CORP members show at a 3 of the public meetings. A bike fed rep was at one of 3 meetings. Silence (so far) from our IMBA rep is disappointing.

Please know the Erdman representatives are interested in working with us, and opportunities exist. This will remain a cool spot and keep developing. We would appreciate having those who care about the sport join us.