•  

29er Parts Availability

Bin
    aka Ben

July 02, 2015, 10:33 AM

I'm not sure if this falls more under building or wishing (luckily both are accepted in this are of the forum).  For the past several years I've been riding a 26er hardtail I cobbled together from a mystery frame of sorts and mostly bike swap components, now I'm thinking about making the move to something a little more aggressive and less XC and making the jump to a 29er at the same time.  I checked out a Kona Honzo yesterday and it was really sweet but I am not too keen on the $2K price tag so I'm thinking I may go the build it myself route again and move as much from my current bike to the new one as I can (I think everything but the frame, fork, headset, wheels, tires, and seatpost should work. bottom bracket/cranks are a maybe). 

Is it reasonable to think that tapered 29er forks in the ~120mm range and compatible 29er wheels would be kicking around the bike swap next year? I haven't gone looking at wheels or forks in a couple of years but when I built my current bike I had no problems finding a fork or wheels. If so, I might just have to order a frame (Honzo or TransAm) and start parts collecting for a winter build up.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

July 02, 2015, 12:29 PM

I'm not sure if this falls more under building or wishing (luckily both are accepted in this are of the forum).  For the past several years I've been riding a 26er hardtail I cobbled together from a mystery frame of sorts and mostly bike swap components, now I'm thinking about making the move to something a little more aggressive and less XC and making the jump to a 29er at the same time.  I checked out a Kona Honzo yesterday and it was really sweet but I am not too keen on the $2K price tag so I'm thinking I may go the build it myself route again and move as much from my current bike to the new one as I can (I think everything but the frame, fork, headset, wheels, tires, and seatpost should work. bottom bracket/cranks are a maybe). 

Is it reasonable to think that tapered 29er forks in the ~120mm range and compatible 29er wheels would be kicking around the bike swap next year? I haven't gone looking at wheels or forks in a couple of years but when I built my current bike I had no problems finding a fork or wheels. If so, I might just have to order a frame (Honzo or TransAm) and start parts collecting for a winter build up.

With pretty much none available used and frames sold out I found new Honzo to be a deal. Even more if you think your labor's worth something. Most alternatives were more. Consider Nimble 9 as an example, and how some frames were not 142x12 or are AL. Lots of parts I saw were for old school QR type hubs.

The Sun Tour forks supported by our local pals are worth considering as far as a stiff fork, works well and value.

TransAms show up used.

The Honzo is so fun that I'd only put my sights on one or a Nimble 9. Ask or poke Dan to post his Nimble 9. It's got to be one of the coolest bikes in Dane Cty.. Stache+ is worth trying. The tires are big enough to help you forget that someone made it out of beer cans.

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

July 02, 2015, 12:55 PM

Sounds like the QR15 isn't quite "standard" enough quite yet to be all over the swap.  I figured since most production bikes seem to be that way now that there might be a lot of those bits floating around used.

I have been eyeing the stache+ as a possibility too.