•  

Dane County Parks

TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

January 19, 2018, 10:11 AM

I attended the Open House for the Dane County Parks and Open Space Plan this last Tuesday along with a couple of other fine folks from CORP. This is the plan that guides what DCP plans to focus on for the next five years (2018-2023). The big take-away's that most apply to CORP:
    • Biking is second only to hiking in Dane County Parks.
      Everyone wants more trails in the Parks.
      Mountain Biking is about 15th on the list of activities in the Parks, but is by far the fastest growing segment of users.
      They heard loud and clear that people want to see more mountain bike trails, and they intend to keep expanding the MTB trail offerings.
      They have now created a park designation called Trails. This is for Parks that primarily consist of a trail (think Lower Yahara River, etc.) These are important links to riding and commuting. To whit the current big project for DCP is to connect the Glacial Drumlin Trail into Madison. Parks have designations for their primary use like Wildlife, Historical/Cultural, Forests, etc. CamRock is designated a Recreational Park.
      CamRock is next on the list for the re-write of the Master Plan. This will be important for all of us to get involved in with the new properties acquired and potential for many more miles of trail. CamRock is proposed to get a Dog Park and expand the mountain bike trail system.
      DCP can now partner with other entities (municipalities, DNR, Friends groups, etc) on projects. The Glacial Drumlin is an example of that. This will allow them to more easily partner with us on projects as well.
      Brigham Park is on the list for adding MTB trails as well. Though I am not sure where it is at for priorities on the Master Plan.
      They want to add a Recreational Park to the NE area of Dane County.

That is my quick synopsis. Post up if any questions.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

January 19, 2018, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the recap.

That is all really exciting for the community.