•  

Wild dog encounter at trail

August 18, 2013, 10:12 AM

I was enjoying a solo trip through Quarry this morning until I encountered what appeared to be a wild dog. Dark, matted, long hair made it difficult to see a collar, and no owner showed up. I was resting at the top when it showed up and I tried to keep some distance while being calm and keeping my bike between us. However, at some point I had to move on and that is when it chased me.

So my question is: what advice or experiences have others had that would be helpful in this situation?  Is there a dog repellent that works?

My only thought in hindsight is that I should have walked further away before getting on my bike.

XXX

August 18, 2013, 07:52 PM

Pepper spray or something similar is the only thing i can think of for when a confrontation is not avoidable. Yes walking further before riding may have worked, may not.

XXX
    rkmears
    Newb Dirt Guy

August 19, 2013, 08:40 AM

A nice squirt right to the face from my water bottle usually works pretty well. Not sure how it would work on a wild dog though.

XXX

August 19, 2013, 09:02 AM

I saw a dog running around the top too a month or so ago. It was big, but had short hair and a dark face, maybe a mastiff? I think some people take thier dogs out there and let them off the leash. Think theres a dude sleeping in the woods too, might have dog.

XXX

August 19, 2013, 11:31 PM

bike shops sell a spray called 'HALT'. it is postal service service approved. never had to pull the trigger yet so no real world experience.

XXX

August 20, 2013, 08:06 PM

Bear spray works great, I'll give him a taste if I see him.  You guys could cook him at Corpse fest. :o

XXX
    ebaher30
    A.K.A. Ethan

August 21, 2013, 02:11 PM

Wait theres a dude sleeping in the woods???

XXX

August 21, 2013, 05:20 PM

There has always been dudes sleeping in the woods- homeless population is huge in Madison.  When I was a kid there was a whole village where the seminole trails would hypothetically be.  I've been seeing homeless at Quarry Ridge on and off since 1998 and never had problems with anyone.  People come and go... kinda sad deal.

XXX
    singletrackminx

August 22, 2013, 09:27 AM

Anyone know where abouts they are hanging out? As a woman who rides there alone a lot it is a concern. I've had one very odd experience out there last year that ended up with the police being called. I know most are harmless etc but you never know who may be off their rocker.

As for wild dogs, if it were me I would call animal control. When I've encountered them on the trail I put the bike between me and the dog.

It is sad about the homeless, maybe we can do something to help; that is if they even want help in the first place. Some people just wanna squat in the woods.

XXX

August 23, 2013, 12:38 PM

100 yards upslope from the entrance to the new climb.  There is usually a seasonal camp there.