•  

Trail Conditions 12/30/16

MyCow

December 30, 2016, 03:00 PM

Made it out around 10am. Temp 24 felt like 14. 4.5" tires at 5psi. Smooth sections of the trail were perfect but Gneiss and Smooth is not nice and smooth. It looks like many people got out after the rain and there are many 10-50+ foot sections of icy boot holes. I rode from the pool through Chert Dip to the beginning of Serpentine Climb and then gave up. I'm slow and out of shape so speedier riders may be fine since they can kind of skip over the icy/chunky sections. I kept getting caught in the holes. Heck of a workout either way and it was still good to get out.

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

December 30, 2016, 03:03 PM

Typical. It warms up and everyone thinks it's a great day for a walk. Thanks for the report.

XXX
    MyCow

December 30, 2016, 03:10 PM

You're welcome. It was a bit of a disappointment but still doable. Better bring a mouth guard so you don't bite your tongue.  :'(

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

December 30, 2016, 03:19 PM

How icy was it?

XXX
    MyCow

December 30, 2016, 03:42 PM

The ice is basically isolated to the boot hole sections. Other than those, I wasn't sliding almost at all. Seems like the water from the rain pooled in certain sections and the boots made big potholes when people walked through the mush. And of course it froze solid.