•  

Sauk Prairie Recreation Area Trails Master Plan

November 03, 2020, 08:13 AM

Here is a recent local article about how the original plan has been re-approved, over the objection of a group of conservationist.  https://www.wiscnews.com/baraboonewsrepublic/news/local/govt-and-politics/state-board-oks-same-sauk-prairie-state-recreation-area-plan-contested-by-local-conservationists/article_d04ec04a-3c32-558d-8051-a19f87225ff7.html

Personally, I really like the idea of experiencing the same trail segments on both my dual-sport moto and my mountain bike.  I'm looking forward to helping with trail development on this property from both perspectives.

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

November 03, 2020, 03:08 PM

I haven't dug on this, but if the NRB did approve essentially the same plan that the courts tossed 3 years ago, my guess is that the same thing is going to happen when (not if) they appeal. I'll further guess that the current state administration won't fight it, so it'll get tossed again, and we'll be back here in 3 years... at which point there will be different people working in the DNR and new appointees to the NRB. Fun times.

I'm also surprised to hear that the motorcycle group is mapping out trails. My understanding is that the motorcycles could use portions of the bike and equestrian trails, rather than building their own. Did that change?

« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 08:43 PM by Gary S »

XXX

November 05, 2020, 11:26 PM

I reached out to NR Region Program Manager Paul Zajackowski about this thread.  The Wisconsin Off Highway Motorcycle Association  (WOHMA)  is working on submitting an application to hold an event in the SPSRA next year.  The litigation evolving around the Master Plan has been resolved and no longer prohibits special events from occurring on the property.  The WDNR is accepting Special Event Applications for events having less than 50 participants and requires a COVID - 19 mitigation plan included in the application for approval.  This event would be limited to existing roads and trails on the property and would need to follow the guidelines outlined in the Master Plan. 

The SPSRA is a new management area for the WDNR.  The Master Plan of the SPSRA was approved in 2016 and tells us that there will be new trail development for hiking, equestrian use, and cycling (10 miles of single-track) developed between 0 - 15 years.  The protocol for all new management areas of WDNR is to bring in a Trail Consultant to find balance between these user groups.  The bad news is the WDNR has not employed an active Trail Consultant since 2017.  This would require them to hire or  contract one.  The onset of COVID-19  has made a huge impact on the WDNR and the focus on the SPSRA may take some time. 

I welcome working with WOHMA.  The Master Plan of the SPSRA tells us that a percentage of these 10 miles of single-track must be dual purposed for 6 Dual Sport Motorcycle events per year.  This adds challange to future trail development.  Trails would need to be built that can handle the Dual Sport motorcycle events.  WOHMA is a large professional organization and well funded.   Their assistance in building trails in the SPSRA is very beneficial as trail could be produced professionally and quickly.

CORP expanded its territory in 2015 specifically to assist with the development of single-track in this area.

Please, take a road trip with your mountain bike and go ride in the SPSRA.  No one is using the Rec Area and thus there is no visibility of cycling activity.  There are miles of old roads, trails, gravel, and historic interpretation sites.  This area is ripe for single-track, and it's been written into the Master Plan.    Then, reach out to your local WDNR representatives and tell them you want to help build this property. 

XXX

November 12, 2020, 08:05 PM

A couple of friends and I cruised around Sauk Prairie State Recreation Area on our gravel bikes in the unseasonable warmth and sunshine last Sunday.  We had a really nice time.  All the currently marked bike trails are either abandoned roads or wide , smooth, grassy paths.  It's pretty interesting to see the old ruins of the ammunition activity juxtaposed against scenic nature.

XXX

July 16, 2021, 11:27 AM

I just want to add that I am also interested in MTB trails as well as dual-sport trails at Sauk Prairie Recreation Area.  I have ridden the property a few times now and I have a pretty good 15-20 mile loop going.  If things do get started with MTB trails, I would like to get involved in possibly dual purposing MTB trails for MTB/Dual-Sport use the few days a year that dual-sports are allowed on the property.  I enjoy both hobbies and would like to see both groups benefit from this opportunity.       

XXX

September 17, 2021, 04:51 PM

After many years of working hard to get access to some dual sport riding at the old Badger ammunition plant (Sauk Prairie Recreation Area) we are finally seeing our first event there. On Sunday, October 3rd (from 9AM - 4PM), people will be riding some of the interim trails and roads there. There is a 15 mile loop mapped out for people to ride as many times as they like.

Since we are still operating with interim trails and some road segments, this is a great opportunity for people that have small bikes and large dual sports to get a chance to do some off pavement riding. This is a unique opportunity for some people that ride medium and large adventure bikes to get some off-pavement riding in.

The Slimey Crud Run is going the same day so some that are participating there might want to work in a little riding time at this event as part of their ride on the SCR.

There is no fee for the event or admission to the property but since public trails are involved, bikes are required to have the state OHM sticker which can be obtained from the DNR's Go WIld website. Remember that money collected from OHM sticker sales goes into OHM riding opportunities including covering some costs of this event.

Pre-registration is required. Come on out for some fun and enjoy some rider camaraderie! https://www.driftlessdsr.org/events/

XXX

September 23, 2021, 01:07 PM

That's awesome. Congrats on making it happen!

So when you say "interim trails," are those the  ones that are currently designated as Bike trails?

XXX

September 30, 2021, 07:52 PM

That's awesome. Congrats on making it happen!

So when you say "interim trails," are those the  ones that are currently designated as Bike trails?

There is a lot of work that is still proposed.  What exists today is on the current map.  These trails are considered the interim trails (Yellow/North, Green/Middle, Red/South).  Existing trails may or may not change.  It is expected that more trails will be added.

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/saukprairie/maps

The dual sport route consists of about 5 miles of trails and 10 miles of public/service roads.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 01:16 PM by DriftlessADV »