•  

Summer 2017 Goal: Earn Farm Access

March 05, 2017, 08:34 PM

I've lived in Madison for over a year now and attended a number of trail workdays last year. I'd really like to get access to ride at the farm. Is there a set number of volunteer hours I need to put in before I can get access? Who do I need to talk to to get that access? Do I need to keep track of how many hours I work and get sign off from volunteer coordinators each day? Or is it more based around becoming friends with the right club leaders? In that case I guess I'll just give up because I'm not very good at making friends.

This whole process is a bit frustrating so sorry for all the questions - hoping someone can help me out. I literally don't know what is expected and I'm a bit nervous to just start asking in person at workdays due to the high level of secrecy around the farm (is talking about the farm ok?) but will continue to volunteer my time to help build trails regardless in the hope that maybe it will pay off....

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

March 08, 2017, 12:13 PM

There are actually two places referred to as 'the farm.' One is east of town and owned by Trek, and it is very difficult to get permission to ride there. The other is west of town and is a farm owned by Greg. He is pretty casual about who rides there, you sound like you would qualify, but historically he hasn't wanted directions posted online. I'll PM him to check this thread and hopefully he'll get in touch with you: I would tell you but I'm not sure where he likes folks to park and enter. Otherwise there are usually some group rides out there once the season gets going, keep an eye out for that.

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm

March 09, 2017, 06:23 AM

gsmith
    You are welcomed out here. As augs said, best to wait and show up at a group ride.
    There is no signage out here so if you can't make a group ride, call me and I will give you directions.

Greg
    669-1648

~ Here uncultivated acres wait prime for adventure....back 40