•  

Farm Update

farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm

April 06, 2014, 09:53 PM

Saturday afternoon I took the tractor out for a ride on the south loop. There were only two small spots on the top of the hill where it drifts a lot that had snow. One spot was just to the edge of the trail and the other one was only about 5 feet long that I could just roll over. SinceI didn't blow the leaves off last fall, there was a good cover and nothing stuck to my bike tires. Did 4 laps, two in each direction. Everything was rideable. Even made it up death drop once although I doubt I could have done it on a regular bike (Nates rule). Felt good to be out riding dirt.  :)

The leaves seemed pretty crispy when I was riding, so this evening I got the leaf blower out. Started at the house going backwards. Got about half way around before running out of gas. Some places were nice and dry, other places it was pretty damp under the leaves yet. Seemed like it was wettest where the leaves were the heaviest so the blowing was a little slower going. Did have a little mud sticking to my shoes, hopefully it will dry out faster with the leaves gone. Planning to get out later this week to finish blowing. Probably won't make it out until thursday or friday, hoping the rest of the snow will be gone by then.

Haven't even bother to check the north loop yet. That's always at least two weeks behind the south loop.  :(

~ Here uncultivated acres wait prime for adventure....back 40

XXX

April 07, 2014, 09:45 AM

Time upgrade your leaf blower to one of these:

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm

April 07, 2014, 03:22 PM

When CORP buys it  ;D

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

April 07, 2014, 05:02 PM

Time upgrade your leaf blower to one of these:

You want this hot air machine?   YOU Carry it!

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm

April 09, 2014, 08:43 PM

Finished blowing the south loop tonight. Trail looks good. Looks a lot gnarlier and more intimidateing when you can see all the roots and rocks  ;) The snow on the top of the hill was all gone. What I blew sunday looks pretty dry. I think it can handle regular mountain bike tires.  8)

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm

April 20, 2014, 09:31 PM

Pam and I walked the north loop today. Cleared most of the winter debris off the trail. Have to go back with the chainsaw for one tree. Tonight I went back for a little while and started blowing it, only got about a fourth of it done. Trail is rideable now. Weather doesn't look real promiseing for the coming week though :(

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm

April 22, 2014, 10:52 PM

Went out blowing again tonight after work. One more night and I think I can finish up the north loop.

XXX

June 23, 2014, 05:31 AM

I have the North loop about 3/4 cleared with the weed whip.  I have about 1/2 of one side of the return loop to Barlow Rd. to complete.

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

June 23, 2014, 08:52 AM

Went out blowing again tonight after work.

I think that is illegal in Wisconsin.  :)

XXX

June 24, 2014, 07:40 AM

Greg,  I plan on coming out and finishing the North loop tomorrow and do a little bit on the South loop.  I'd probably be parking at your house around 4:00.  I don't know if anyone is home at that time but I don't want to suprise anybody.

XXX

June 25, 2014, 08:52 PM

I finished up the North loop. The storm that went through today knocked down at least 2 trees that will need chainsaw work just in the short section that I walked today.  On the South loop,  I started from Greg's backyard and walked along the bottom and out the top.  I then went from the other entrance/exit and walked down along the bottom and when it started to climb again I decided to stop.  So I'm guessing  1/3+ of the South loop is done. 

XXX

July 10, 2014, 10:22 AM

Greg,

I'm finishing up my workday Friday about a half mile from The Farm. I was thinking of doing a couple laps while I was in the area. Should I bring my chain saw too? I got a cool new little Stihl MS150 that is very packable for on the bike. I have all the weed whips and leaf blowers and such too, but that would require me to walk which would be lame.

LMK,

XXX

July 10, 2014, 11:21 AM

There was at least 3 trees that needed to be removed in the north woods.  Shortly after the start, at the bottom of The Farm's version of the Rip'N'Ride, there is a dead tree hanging over the trail that needs to be removed.  On the return to Barlow Rd. there was 2 trees that had fallen during a storm that need to be removed.  I will not be able to get back to finish the weed whacking of the south loop until the week of the 21st.  I haven't been out there in a few weeks so I'm not sure what else you might find or if someone else has gotten to them already.

XXX

July 11, 2014, 10:39 PM

Got out there this evening, cleared 5 trees/conflagrations off the trail on the north loop. At least 1 remains, the top of a basswood. I ran out if daylight and energy before I could get to that one. Good news is that that one is pretty easy to walk around.

Overall the north loop is in pretty good shape, some pretty slick mossy rocks though.

XXX

July 12, 2014, 06:54 AM

Thanks for your help, Frank.