•  

rear rack for a Prius

October 19, 2015, 02:33 PM

I was thinking of posting this on MTBR, but I figured that with the high concentration of Priuses locally, I'd be better off asking here:

What do people like for rear racks for Prius?  I just got one as a personal/business car.

If its just me, I'm throwing a bike in the back. So I'm looking for a rack that could carry 2-4 bikes. It would come off the car whenever I was not carrying bikes on it, so I'm thinking it would only get used 2x per month on average.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

October 19, 2015, 04:13 PM

I'd put a 1 1/4" receiver hitch on it and pick the underneath support hitch rack of your choice...

1UpUSA
    Thule
    Yakima
    Saris
    Kuat

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

October 19, 2015, 04:31 PM

I'd be very surprised if you could carry more than 2 bikes on a Prius.

XXX

October 19, 2015, 04:35 PM

Gary, why is that? I saw a guy using a trunk rack to carry 3-4 bikes at Cam-Rock on Saturday. At least 2 were kids bikes (20"-24"), smaller but not necessarily lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

October 19, 2015, 04:35 PM

Yeah, I didn't see that requirement...I was thinking 2 bikes max.  Most of the hitch racks that will handle 4bikes require a 2" receiver I think.

Roof rack?

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

October 19, 2015, 06:21 PM

The safe route is get a hitch and receiver size appropriate for the car, and not exceed the tongue weight.

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm
    Trail Steward

October 19, 2015, 07:57 PM

I have a Saris Freedom rack (still in the box) that I won in a raffle if you're interested. Just holds 2 bikes. 1 1/4" hitch with a 2" adaptor.

~ Here uncultivated acres wait prime for adventure....back 40

XXX

October 19, 2015, 07:58 PM

Both Curt and Hidden Hitch are spec.ed for a tongue wight of 200 lbs. so, enough for 8 bikes!

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

October 19, 2015, 08:01 PM

Some of the 4 bike hitch racks only come in 2" though. I'm betting you can't get a 2" hitch for a Prius though. There are adapters but they just add length and play.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

XXX

October 19, 2015, 08:06 PM

I have a ~5 year old Saris rack that carries 4 bikes and fits a 1.25" receiver. I "loaned" it to a friend, neither of us is sure if he paid me for it or not. I think I can have it back if I want it.  I'm not enamored with it, but it gets the job done.

I'd rather not add the hitch receiver permanently to the car though if a "trunk" rack was just as good. But it sounds like this is not the case.

XXX
    g
    And last but not least.......

October 20, 2015, 10:44 PM

I carry 2 bikes via 1up on the wife's Prius. I am guessing it would do 3 ok though.