•  

Potential TTF Lumber

March 18, 2015, 03:24 PM

An engineer in my office came in just now and indicated that the pedestrian bridge on the Military Ridge bike trail over County Highway F in Blue Mounds is being replaced this summer.  Work scheduled to start the week after July 4.

He mentioned that there were many substantial timbers in new or like new condition, wondering if I had use for them in my department.  We don't, and it seems within the county no one does.  Which got us to talk about beneficial reuses of this material.  I thought of CORP, mentioned it to him.  Seems open to it.

Now I don't know anything about this bridge, or what need to happen to get this material properly salvaged and into CORPS hands, but if this is something someone here may be interested in please let me know and I will put you in touch with right person

robert

regan (at) countyofdane (dot) com

XXX

March 18, 2015, 04:13 PM

Thanks Robert

I'll add it to the agenda to discuss for the March 27th meeting.  Can you get a ballpark estimate how much and what type of timbers might be up for grabs?

My initial thought is to ask Kevin (manager at Blue Mounds) if we can store them in the BM maintenance area.  Walt mentioned that we may need some easier crossing options for some creek beds at Blue Mounds next year, this could be the start of a solution for that problem.

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

March 18, 2015, 04:24 PM

Is it across from South St? The other bridge in that area is pretty new.

If they could transport them for us it may be very helpful.
    XXX

March 19, 2015, 12:22 PM

Couple of pictures attached.

XXX

March 19, 2015, 12:23 PM

One more

XXX

March 19, 2015, 12:24 PM

One more try.

XXX
    JHenry

March 20, 2015, 06:43 AM

Are you talking about the supporting timbers or the deck? Either way I know Dave and I would really appreciate the material!
    XXX

March 20, 2015, 08:53 AM

From what I understand, the entire structure is coming down.  If you want me to put you in touch with the appropriate person, please send me an email and I will get you his contact info.

robert

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

April 07, 2015, 06:49 PM

I will bring this to Kevin's attention as something we need for Blue Mound.

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

April 21, 2015, 06:53 PM

I spoke to Kevin about storing timbers, potentially for use at Blue Mound. He told me we can use some of the grassy area below the park garage. The old WORBA trailer (easy to spot with the WORBA decals on it) sits in the area in question.

I do not have equipment to haul timbers of any size. Anyone want to get on this?

Walt

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

April 21, 2015, 08:07 PM

Would the county, or whatever government entity is taking down the bridge, haul them to a location for us? It seems they would have to do that any way, and we would essentially be giving them a place to go with this material they would either have to haul a longer distance, or dispose of.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

April 22, 2015, 07:07 AM

I emailed to the address at the bottom of the original post.

I don't have a lot of time to deal with this, will do what I can. What I'm hearing is the TTF crew will take the material if everything is done for them. If there's more help on the table, let me know.

Walt

XXX
    Dave Reece
    Trail Steward | Battle of CamRock Race Conductor
    Trail Steward

April 22, 2015, 07:24 AM

Hey Walt,
    I will take care of this. Forward me the email you had sent to Regan and I will follow through on it.

~ Cheers!

Dave Reece
    Camrock Trail Crew

XXX
    JHenry

April 22, 2015, 07:50 AM

Sorry I dropped the ball on this for a few days. I called the contractor lead on the project and discussed the process of dismantling and transport. Transport is not part of the bid but it may be possible if they are just going to Blue Mound with the materials. They would use a dump trailer to transport. The original bid called for the use of a dumpster.

We will need to sign a liability waiver in regards to nails, creosote, and possible lead paint.

Deconstruction will start on 7/6 or 7/7 and materials will need to be moved immediately.

I apologize for letting this slip but it looks like we are more or less set.
    XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

April 23, 2015, 07:19 AM

I called the contractor lead on the project and discussed the process of dismantling and transport. Transport is not part of the bid but it may be possible if they are just going to Blue Mound with the materials. They would use a dump trailer to transport. The original bid called for the use of a dumpster.

We will need to sign a liability waiver in regards to nails, creosote, and possible lead paint.

Deconstruction will start on 7/6 or 7/7 and materials will need to be moved immediately.

Hi Josh,

Sounds good overall, but I'm baffled by the waiver requirement. If a CORP officer signs, how does that work with regards to our agreements with our property managers? Probably it's no issue whatsoever, but on the surface this could be taken as us hauling toxic materials onto properties that would otherwise not be willing to accept them. It shouldn't be an issue for Blue Mound, because the Military Ridge trail is already part of their domain. Can we get a copy of the agreement ahead of time? And show it to the land managers?

Walt

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:46 AM by Gary S »