•  

Blue Mounds Conditions

May 19, 2015, 12:27 PM

Anyone know if the trails are close to being dry enough to ride?

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

May 19, 2015, 12:44 PM

I haven't been out there since last Wednesday, the trails were a little soft and still recovering. I would think Over Lode should be fine, Walter was going to contact the park office and see if they could allow riders on that trail, but I'm uncertain if he did so.

XXX

May 23, 2015, 09:03 PM

They've got to be dry by now, right?  Does BM have a trail hotline like The Kettles?

XXX
    Gary S
    Administrator

May 23, 2015, 11:06 PM

Over Lode was opened sometime this week. You can call the park office and either talk to someone if present or listen to the after hours message. We have been in communication with park staff. I confirmed today that the rest of the trails are closed. Despite the relatively dry weather, there are still several long stretches of mud.  If the trails somehow don't get the rain forecast for the coming week, I suspect they could be opened soon. However, any significant rain would probably push back the opening by a couple weeks. The trees and warm weather should help take the water of of the soil.

XXX

June 08, 2015, 09:32 PM

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about current conditions? The park's (possibly out of date?) automated message says everything is closed.

XXX
    Gary S
    Administrator

June 08, 2015, 10:59 PM

The automated message is probably correct.  We spoke with one of the rangers on Saturday and said to close everything for a day if it rained on Sunday. Of course, then Blue Mounds got mostly missed on Sunday (1/10") and completely missed today.  Over Lode is most likely fine to ride.  The rest of the trail system might be OK by mid-week, but it's impossible to determine without actually going out and checking it.  And then we're supposed to get rain Thursday and Friday.  It's a bit of work to open or close the trail system, and we hate to ask for change one day (and then when the conditions are borderline) only to have to reverse course a day later.  I hope people understand that there is a balance here with the land manager and park staff and the fact that we are not in direct control of when the trails are open or closed, which is partially because it's a long drive for many of us to just evaluate the trails.

The good news: At some point the trails will be open pretty much the rest of the summer and we'll forget about this again until next spring.

Of course, we are also actively working on bypassing and correcting the spots that cause the trails to be closed longer than they otherwise might be.  Please consider lending a hand at one of the upcoming workdays.  More good news is that these spots are shrinking every year and may be gone entirely in 2-3.

XXX

July 02, 2015, 10:34 AM

Any chance they'd be dry and open this weekend?

XXX
    Gary S
    Administrator

July 02, 2015, 10:59 AM

They are open. Everything is tacky and should improve into the weekend. There are a few muddy spots in the usual places. Expect to slip on roots.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

July 02, 2015, 11:27 AM

We're a way from dry. Open sounds pretty good though.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

July 02, 2015, 11:52 AM

If it's any consolation we are the southern-most area that has any trails open in the whole Midwest. Everything south of us has been closed for at least two months or never opened. We have been on the northern fringe of most of those storms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

July 02, 2015, 01:11 PM

They are open. Everything is tacky and should improve into the weekend. There are a few muddy spots in the usual places. Expect to slip on roots.

:) :) :) :) :)  :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

July 02, 2015, 05:55 PM

Thanks Frank.

Note there are several trees down in Over Lode, and the weeds haven't been cut in Chert Dip, Home Stretch, or Pokerville. The Phase 2 reroute in Holy Schist is roughed in only. There isn't a tread yet, and the streambed crossings have not had any rock work done. Please be careful out there!

A huge thanks to Gary, Ryan, and Rich for all the weed cutting they have contributed this spring. Also, thanks to the many people who helped rough in Phase 2. Rumor has it that the rollers leading into the first switchback on the Holy Schist boundary reroute are now properly tuned, I can't wait to try it out.

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

July 10, 2015, 06:40 AM

A quick update: The trails at Blue Mound recovered nicely from the 0.4" of rain on Monday. They were actually a little drier Wednesday afternoon.

I'm cautiously optimistic that we're past the spring monsoon season.

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

July 14, 2015, 06:11 AM

I was on the trails Monday July 13th and there were wet spots on some of the sections that dry the fastest. Gary and I plan to scout Over Lode on Wednesday, and hope to open it.

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

July 19, 2015, 08:18 PM

I was out cutting weeds on Pokerville trail today, July 19th. The weed cutting is finished, at least for now. The trails are dry enough to ride and are open. There are wet spots, and still lots of storm debris.

I'm done working for a while, please help by taking a few minutes to clear sticks from the trail. It would be really nice if I didn't have to do it and could have a break to ride for a change.

Walt