•  

Hitch Rack Options

Colin519

December 22, 2015, 04:00 PM

Right now I have a Yakima hold up 2 "Modified" to carry my Farley, but it is SO heavy  :o  (the Rack) while I am driving down the road with the rack stored up it squeaks my car going over bumps... and when the bike is on its worse. 

Are there any other fat bike racks that don't weigh like 35 lbs ?  I miss my Thelma rack that is like 15lbs.

Or any other options ?  (wont fit in my Volt)

XXX

December 23, 2015, 06:54 AM

Still not light but the only rack I ever recommend is the 1upusa.  Www.1upusa.com.com. There just isn't anything better.  Made in Wisconsin as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ I like beer and men

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

December 23, 2015, 09:40 AM

I took a look at what's out there after two new cars in recent years and months. For modest prices I really liked the Saris improvements over time. If you can jump up in price it's hard to beat the 1 Up that Bear mentioned.

We had both and now have a mix of 1 Up trays ready for fat or skinny tire.

One very sweet aspect of 1 Up is just unbolting the tray on your car and bolting it to another. Gary, Walt and I will meet up and turn the minivan into a 3-4 bike hauler in an instant.

XXX

December 23, 2015, 12:12 PM

Jumping on the 1up bandwagon.  I don't actually own one but they are popular in my riding circle and I've driven many many miles with them on various vehicles.  I have seen one scary failure where a very well used tray (arguably worn out) slowly slipped open during a trip which could have led to an ejected bike so we're in the habit of throwing a bungee around the last tray to keep it closed as extra security now.

I do have one of their trainers and generally like the way they engineer things, they go for simple and overbuilt, and their support is really good.

XXX
    g
    And last but not least.......

December 23, 2015, 02:46 PM

The newer trays have teeth on them that should prevent that slipping. My 2nd tray has that on it.

Jumping on the 1up bandwagon.  I don't actually own one but they are popular in my riding circle and I've driven many many miles with them on various vehicles.  I have seen one scary failure where a very well used tray (arguably worn out) slowly slipped open during a trip which could have led to an ejected bike so we're in the habit of throwing a bungee around the last tray to keep it closed as extra security now.

I do have one of their trainers and generally like the way they engineer things, they go for simple and overbuilt, and their support is really good.

XXX
    Colin519

December 30, 2015, 02:48 PM

For now (till I can come up with some $$, and sell a few other things) I just unbolted the 2nd bike holder on the Holdup and it dropped a good 10 maybe 15 lbs off the rack.  I haven't carried my bike in a week so I will see how it does one of these days when I head out.  (Maybe tomorrow)

XXX

February 01, 2016, 12:34 PM

As much as I personally prefer the Saris Superclamp, You could do the Freedom and run the fat wheel holders and have a really light hitch rack.

Freedom 2's run about $250 and another $50 for the wheel holders.