•  

Late March riding destination

January 15, 2016, 07:05 AM

Julie and I are looking for a good riding destination for the third week of March.  We were thinking of somewhere 5-6 hours south of Madison where we could perhaps find some sun and good trails. Does anyone have any suggestions?  Are there any good trails in southern Illinois for example?

Happy 2016

Kyle

XXX

January 15, 2016, 07:34 AM

Brown County Indiana. Not directly south but it's in that direction, great trails, nice campgrounds and amenities, cute little town nearby and about a 5-6 hour drive. 

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

January 15, 2016, 07:36 AM

Julie and I are looking for a good riding destination for the third week of March.  We were thinking of somewhere 5-6 hours south of Madison where we could perhaps find some sun and good trails. Does anyone have any suggestions?  Are there any good trails in southern Illinois for example?

Happy 2016

Kyle

A few of us have headed to the Ozarks and Appalachians before there was general trail riding here. One year we started at Berryman Trail and headed east to KY as we watched the weather for the week. It was a good time.

Louisville area has tremendous riding and now the underground riding I've not yet experienced.

Some here have taken that general swath a bit farther. IIRC, both spring and fall seemed like you could have warmth and dry that were 1 - 4 weeks ahead of us depending on the weather.

If you have airline perks to use or bargains consider this. I was looking around and found you can rent a minivan for far less at major hubs. It looked less expensive for me to fly to Oakland, rent a bike and ride north or south of San Francisco than go to some purely resort areas.

A campervan trip could work out well too. A friend has a campervan rental business. He works out what's needed for the sport. You just arrive at the airport with your clothing, helmet, pack, shoes etc..... That won't be a true bargain bit looks very appealing to me. Las Vegas is one of his locations and always has lower airfare than some of his others. I keep that in mind for early and late season vacation dreams.

Get O'Bannon on your list if you get near Louisville. Ride Brown County if you're going through IN.

Have fun.

XXX

January 17, 2016, 08:40 AM

What town in Brown County is this near?  Are these the ICOOR or Sugar-bottom trails near Iowa City?

Is the weather noticeably warmer than Madison in March?

Has anybody done the Sugar-bottom trails?

XXX

January 17, 2016, 09:22 AM

Another vote for Brown county, the park is near Nashville Indiana.

The local mountain bike club is large and well established, they have roughly 200 miles of trails with in 2 hours of the park - some of it is well new designed flow trails, some is old school rake and ride

The local forum is helpful.

http://www.hmba.org/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=768e4b97266d02bfe14f6f375728da21&

XXX

January 17, 2016, 09:03 PM

Re: Sugar Bottom - I went to college in Iowa and rode the Sugar Bottom trails a few times. They are fun, one-way, well-marked, and well-maintained. I haven't been there in 10 years, but I'd love to go back. I doubt the weather would be cooperative in March and I'm not sure they would be worth the drive from Madison. But if you're ever in the area, check it out.

XXX

January 18, 2016, 06:26 AM

Thanks again for the ideas.  Does anybody have any experience with the trails in the Shawano National Forest in southern Illinois?

Kyle

XXX

January 20, 2016, 06:46 AM

What about some of the trails in Missouri?  Has anybody ridden any of those?

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

January 20, 2016, 07:08 AM

Yes, but not recently. See comments above about Berryman. Hopefully others here have been there recently. A friend who did ride it in recent years enjoyed it.

Council Bluff Lake not far away was fun and quite different than Berryman.

XXX

January 20, 2016, 09:06 AM

Sugarbottom would be a no-go in March.  Certainly still worth checking out.  In fact there is a fantastic brewpub just 6 miles away in Solon (Big Grove Brewing).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ I like beer and men

XXX
    swannecks
    let er rip

January 21, 2016, 04:09 PM

In the Kansas city area there are three great trails that I love:
    landahl park reserve
    swope park
    Smithville Lake Trails

If yr willing to go further there are lots of great spots in NW Arkansas. Hope that helps

XXX

January 28, 2016, 08:01 PM

Things could be muddy anywhere from Missouri to Indiana in March.

As for the Shawnee, I did a trip down there about 3 years ago. It was once a mountain bike Mecca for IL, but that seems to have fallen apart. Trails are not maintained. It was fine for passing through the area for 2 days, but I wouldn't plan a trip down there.

I'd recommend hopping a plane to the southwest for late March. Sedona and St. George are perfect that time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk