•  

Dairy Roubaix 2016

Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

February 02, 2016, 09:36 AM

Anyone else signed up?  Interested in carpooling?

XXX

February 02, 2016, 10:05 AM

I have never done this event but am interested.  It looks like it is scheduled for 4/16, correct?  Is there a website for this?  I am kind of a luddite and don't have a facebook.

What kind of bikes do most people use?  My options would be a hard-tail 29er or a road bike with 25mm tires.  I don't think I can get anything much larger on it.

Kyle

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

February 02, 2016, 10:14 AM

Its a very low-key, very hilly gravel grinder in the driftless region. People ride it on anything and everything. Cx bikes, fat bikes, mountain bikes, single speeds (i wouldn't recommend that).  I rode it last year on a 1x9 steel cx with 35mm tires.

I would not recommend a road bike with 25mm tires. It gets very bumpy and chunky in places. You will want to run lower pressures.

I am considering doing it this year on a 29er hardtail with a rigid fork.

XXX

February 02, 2016, 12:42 PM

Is there a website for it?  More information about the course etc?

XXX

February 02, 2016, 02:47 PM

Maybe interested. Long ride I am assuming? Would love to do this ride provided wife could get off work. Looks fun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

XXX
    nor
    Trail Steward - Cross Plains
    Trail Steward

February 02, 2016, 03:02 PM

Check strava for the course.  There is a 60 mile version and a 110 mile.  Its a fun time.

~ crushing it

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

February 02, 2016, 03:35 PM

Is there a website for it?  More information about the course etc?

Event page is a facebook page.

Here is a write up from last year:

http://motoscotch.blogspot.com/2015/04/dairy-roubaix-2015.html

XXX

February 03, 2016, 07:39 AM

I would really like to do the 107 mile loop but I am not sure if I want to do it on an mtb.  Unfortunately, my stable does not include a cx or gravel grinder.  I will investigate what the largest tire size is that I could put on my old Pinarello.

XXX

February 03, 2016, 08:07 AM

If your max is 700x28 I would encourage running the hardtail with a skinny knobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ I like beer and men

XXX

February 03, 2016, 10:04 AM

It would be a rough go on a road bike, I've done it on ~30mm touring tires and had a few pucker moments trying to find traction. An mtb with skinny tires would be a good choice though. 

XXX

February 04, 2016, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the advice on tires and bikes.  I am still thinking it would be a good endurance workout before the WORS season begins and will probably just run the 2.2 Maxxis tires that are on the bike now.

Are some of you guys planning on car-pooling?

XXX

February 06, 2016, 05:11 PM

Does this ride fill up ahead of time or can one sign up day of?  I see the ax is around 250

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

XXX

February 13, 2016, 08:18 AM

I've done it on a 29er with big knobbies, the gearing and wide tires are great but the weight bites you on the hills.

I've also done it on a road bike with 28mm tires, that was actually awesome. You need perfectly dry conditions, a bit of luck (hope they haven't freshly graded anything) and confident (foolish?) bike handling prowess (over-confidence).

I second the previous recommendations: a 29'er with skinny knobbies or a cross bike is your best bet. Wide range gearing recommended.