•  

Need help with trail upkeep (Burdocks)

September 24, 2020, 05:06 PM

There are now two huge tree obstacles right next to each other that are blocking the outermost loop on the East side of the new trails.

I cut the smaller of the branches and moved it out of the way. The next time I'm out there I'll use a loppers to reroute the trail a couple of feet so it goes around the end of the remaining branch.

XXX

September 28, 2020, 01:14 AM

There are now two huge tree obstacles right next to each other that are blocking the outermost loop on the East side of the new trails.

I cut the smaller of the branches and moved it out of the way. The next time I'm out there I'll use a loppers to reroute the trail a couple of feet so it goes around the end of the remaining branch.
    These trails are not official so I guess you can do that?
    My only concern is making more diversions by disrupting what is growing there where they may not be needed.
    Perhaps we can wait and get someone in there with the right tools to make things easier with what is already there instead of causing more trail making than needed?

In my non professional trail making opinion I think we should or could consult with trail making experts on what really should be done to improve these trails as things come up and/or as they are.

Somehow something doesn't sit right with me to make diversions around things when they may not be needed.
    Why not cut through it instead?

Get a chainsaw from somewhere.
    Boom.
    Done.
    What is wrong with that option?
    Is there a conventional wisdom for trail working when obstacles come up that shouldn't be there?
    Work a way around or through them?

Whatever the consensus or majority says, if there is any, I guess I could go with that.

XXX

September 28, 2020, 08:19 AM

I agree that the best course of action would be to cut through the log and keep the trail exactly where it has been. That is standard practice for trail maintenance. The problem is that I don't see anyone with a chainsaw cutting this log or any of the others that have fallen across the trail in the past. In the meantime it looked like walkers and riders had already been going around the mess, making a new route whether we like it or not.

I have a gas chainsaw but I have to weigh the 3 hours of driving it takes to get it plus the risk that someone (neighbor, MATC, county, city) is going to hear it and not approve versus just moving the trail over 2 feet. If I had an electric chainsaw or if it was a major reroute it would be  different. I have a very large bow saw that I will dig out and try on the log sometime. If it is feasible I will cut it.

XXX

September 28, 2020, 09:28 AM

Home Depot (among probably others) will rent you an electric chainsaw. I believe the minimum rental is something like $30. Of course dropping personal money on trail maintenance is not ideal. Just putting it out there as a possibility.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

September 28, 2020, 11:10 AM

The status of this trail area might put this in question, but historically all of our public land managers have required the industry FSTA certification or completing a chainsaw use course they put on. There are CORP trail stewards and associates who've completed both, and proper safety gear.

It also happens that tree work somehow just gets done.

Pres Jon and the board are who I'd go to on this topic.

Definitely watch for the class opportunities it's worth it for a number of reasons. CORP has always supported people taking the classes.

XXX

September 28, 2020, 01:55 PM

Hey all,

I attached a very rough trail map I whipped up using Strava Heatmaps (really cool feature if you've never played around with it) and MS Paint  ;) 
    If it helps to reference this when trying to describe things on the trail go for it.  its not entirely accurate but pretty close.

I made It out on Saturday for a bit of weed whipping and I think the entire trail that is Blue on the map is whipped and can be ridden without being annhilated by burrs and prickly plants.

More importantly there was a wooden jump built on the flat area south of the large mound on the red trail.  It seemed fairly well constructed and thought out, but could cause some undesired attention to the trails.  Not sure how I feel about it at this point but thought I would bring it to people's attention.

Justin, I think I agree that we may be best doing a quick reroute , especially if it is a section of trail that isn't particularily noteworthy or hasn't been ridden in well yet, Just my opinion though.

XXX

October 19, 2020, 01:22 PM

Hi all,
    I'm an east sider who just discovered these trails. I'd love to help out with maintenance so I plan on checking back here regularly.

The recent bits of added woodwork near the hill make for a very fun intermediate skill level jump line, I hope the community leaves them in place.

Thanks for the maintenance work all of you have been putting in!

XXX

October 20, 2020, 02:12 PM

Hi all,
    I'm an east sider who just discovered these trails. I'd love to help out with maintenance so I plan on checking back here regularly.

The recent bits of added woodwork near the hill make for a very fun intermediate skill level jump line, I hope the community leaves them in place.

Thanks for the maintenance work all of you have been putting in!

Glad you found and are enjoying the trails!  I think it might be worth trying to get some people together for a raking party in a few weeks when all the leaves have fallen, so maybe I'll post about that here in a bit or if someone else wants to organize something that is cool too. 

Regarding the wood jumps that have been popping up,  I hope that they get left too,  I know the jump I posted a picture of in this thread got moved as a lot of people were concerned about when riding the trail the opposite way it wasn't really visible due to the landing and you could easily ride into the back.  So as a general note to any one building anything please keep in mind that any features shouldn't obstruct the current trail, or at least a decent ride around should be provided that doesn't kill the flow of the current trail.   Also, digging holes for any features should be done a good distance from the trail.

I saw some additional work was being done on Saturday so maybe I'll stop by on my ride home and check it out and report here if anything notable popped up.

Happy riding y'all!

XXX

November 05, 2020, 07:57 AM

WOAH! BurrDox has a jump line!

Also beware the random motocross rider!

XXX

December 03, 2020, 08:17 AM

I recently happened upon these trails too.  Fun stuff!  I'll keep an eye out for posted requests for help.

XXX

July 11, 2021, 04:24 PM

Hi all. 
    I bought a cheap battery powered string trimmer and did some work on these trails today but only got a fraction of it done before my batteries crapped out.  I'm going to get a couple more batteries and keep working at it bit by bit when I have time.  I like these trails and the location is fantastic.  I just thought I'd revive this thread to indicate that these trails still have some interest.  I'd love to see them become more official and legit. 

XXX

July 16, 2021, 11:26 AM

If you can swing it, a battery operated hedge trimmer is awesome for trimming swaths trailside.  It will even cut twigs that are 1/4" or so.

XXX

October 13, 2022, 10:46 AM

I have the following electric tools: 16" chainsaw, 24" hedge trimmer, weed whacker, blower and I have several long runtime batteries.  How is the trail looking nowdays?  If you send me a geo pin for any big trees/logs you need cut I can try to make it out there this weekend.

XXX

October 28, 2022, 09:32 AM

I rode Burdocks yesterday (10/27/22) and it needs some love. I'm glad to assist if available. Some powertools will be necessary.

XXX

November 14, 2022, 08:09 AM

We did a bunch of whacking and raking over the last couple weekends and most of the trails are clear.  There are a couple trees that need to be dealt with by either removal or making some ramps over them.