•  

Hardtail or Full Suspension for Newbie?

January 03, 2021, 11:53 AM

I've been riding quarry ridge green trails and a few other places this year on my 25 year old Trek with no suspension and skinny tires. I've gotten to the point where I'd like to get something purpose built and modern. I'm honestly probably a blue trails kind of guy. It's hard for me to imagine ever riding black diamond but I would like to be able to jump and run through rock gardens. I'm also not really concerned with how fast I run through or how impressive it looks when I do, I'm just looking to have a lot of fun. I can afford a decent full suspension bike but I'm wondering if it's really going to benefit me for the kind of trails I'll realistically be riding.

So, the question. Is there real benefit to me going with full suspension or will I just be the guy playing Mary had a Little Lamb on a $2000 guitar? I realize there's not really a great answer for this but I think people who know the trails around here are the most likely to be able to help me out. Thanks!

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

January 03, 2021, 03:57 PM

Welcome. I'd say both. For your guitar analogy - there are acoustic and electric.

My suggestion is delay gratification long enough to try out modern bikes. Consider your riding. Do you ride where the simplicity and rigid back of the hardtail is an advantage such as ride from home, pathways, possibly race or pump/jump? Do you mostly ride on challenging terrain or jump in a way where suspension is a help? Age? I love hardtails but my old back is happiest with a dual suspension trail bike? What about snow biking (fatties are hardtails)?

Have fun figuring it out.

XXX

January 03, 2021, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the advice! The age comment might have sold me on a dual suspension :). Clearly the right answer is to buy them all, just spread out enough that my family doesn't notice.

XXX

January 04, 2021, 10:12 AM

If one can afford both then certainly why not! That being said, I really like the simplicity of the hardtail. Age seems a reasonable consideration, but if you have been riding a fully rigid with skinny (and presumably high pressure) tires without much issue then having modern, fatter, low-pressure tires and a front suspension should be enough to keep things cushioned.  I would give some of the local black-diamond trails a chance once you have practiced up. There is very little in the area that is truly crazy if you watch your speed. As you said, you aren't interested in torching through features at warp speed anyways. Modern brakes will help there too. I would also wholeheartedly recommend getting something with a dropper post. They certainly aren't a strict requirement, but mine has saved me from going OTB more times than I can count.

XXX

January 05, 2021, 01:52 PM

My advice is always to learn on a hardtail, especially if you can afford a full squish too a year later. Hardtails are just plain better for learning, lighter, and easier to maintain. Full suspension to me is for QOL on rough surfaces and can be more stable / better traction at high speed and especially on rough ground. But, it's not without tradeoffs.

TLDR - I cast my vote for the hardtail. You'll cave in for a fullie soon enough :)

XXX

January 05, 2021, 10:02 PM

Thanks for all the feedback! I feel like I'm in the world's most expensive cereal aisle.