•  

Inukshuk at Pleasant View, Sat 1/16

January 10, 2016, 04:20 PM

A reminder of the fat bike race this Saturday 1/16 at Pleasant View.

Snowshoes go at 9am (5k or 10k distance).
    Fat bikes go at 11am.

The course is mostly marked (I ran a little short on some flags) already. I'll finish it later this week. The snow is really firm and it looks like there wont be any thaw before the race.

Studded tires are ok. Tire width is >= 3.5".

Register at snowshoewi.com (or day-of). Remember a portion of your entry fee goes straight back to CORP.

The Inukshuk FB page: https://www.facebook.com/The-Inukshuk-441810662671654/ and the event page is https://www.facebook.com/events/182082078798240/

If you cant make it Saturday, then mark your calendar for 2/6, because we're doing it all again.

XXX
    Colin519

January 14, 2016, 08:43 PM

I rode there today (Pre-Ride) to get a feel of the course... well I got lost near the back switchbacks and hill and then double backed on myself... So I looked at the map a few times and posted something on FB.  Then heard to keep the pink flags on your right... Finally found the place I needed to turn and then I barely saw any tracks on the golf course portion but I made 2 laps once I finally found out where I was going.

1.  I hope the golf course section (last .75 mile) is groomed
    2.  The 90d right turn off single track onto the golf course is next to impossible (not groomed, broken tree over path, and its very steep) 

XXX

January 14, 2016, 10:49 PM

the next-to-impossible part is a marked XC ski trail, but probably abandoned. For this race, its a run-up. Its also a duck-under. Its a feature.  :)

Couple other notes: The course isnt fully marked yet. Its also not really designed to be pre-ridden (aside from the MTB trails - when open), though I dont think I communicated that well to people this year, so thats on me. Only on event days are we allowed on the golf course. That goes for bike grooming as well. As such, the grooming for the golf course portion will be accomplished by the snowshoe traffic preceding the fat bikes. Those are just the ground rules I'm dealing with. In addition to golf course riding being off-limits, we also have to be careful with riding over the ski trails. Again, its allowed for the event days, but when the skiers or groomers see bikes off the marked MTB trails (i.e. away from our little northern strip), we could generate some heat. I know some skiers that throw some serious side-eye at MTBers, hikers, and dogs that are near their skate deck.

So to be clear, except for the two race events, everyone should stay on the marked CORP trails only (when open).

There are a number of big constraints in building a race course on the property. The major one is the out-and-back nature of the trail corridor. Its tough to make a good loop, so you need to return over golf course.

I'm optimistic between the low temps and thin snow cover, that it will be good riding. I aim to improve it year-over-year. Local grooming capabilities are expanding each year, and we're building relationships with the land managers and other user groups too, so maybe there will be more leeway in the future for mechanical grooming on the golf course.

XXX
    Colin519

January 14, 2016, 11:30 PM

I did run into a few CX skiers and that didn't have any problem when I rode past one of them and he was chatting with me.  But yes I can understand why and how it could become a problem. 

Once the snowshoe people run over the golf course it should be pretty good. 

I am excited for Saturday's race... not the temps  :o  I could deal without 5F and -10 windchill.

XXX
    Colin519

January 14, 2016, 11:43 PM

Are there different classes for the fat bike race.  Like... Age, Men/Women/Kids, tire size ?

Can non fat bikes race ?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:11 AM by Colin Erskine »

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

January 15, 2016, 06:40 AM

I hope people support the race and CORP here.

• This is an area where opportunity far exceeds the participation and state of development.
    • Promoter Erik has done a super job of dealing with both the golf course staff and public lands staff.
    • The race has donated to both CORP and the city.
    • Winter riding is limited but will grow significantly if we finish the flagged single track this season. That's some of the best terrain around here.
    • In summer you have a ride that can already be 7-12 miles, and if you do it right has two stops for beer, food and free WiFi.
    • At last city staff meeting we were working out grooming equipment to help insure a great race. Please help fill the fat bike committee and help Garrett who deserves a lot of thanks for the PV winter riding.

Check out the sign (link below) to know the city's spirit here. I think it's pretty darn cool, and be sure to thank Garrett and Erik for the progress that's happening.

http://www.madcitydirt.com/index.php?topic=3298.0

Good luck Erik and racers!

XXX

January 15, 2016, 12:20 PM

Colin,

There are mens and womens classes, but we're not doing age groups. The snowshoe race does AG, and we're looking to add more classes next year.

The snowshoe folks use Racesplitter to score and generate results. This is my first race using the tool, but it should deliver some quick results. With lap times too, because data is fun. I'm thinking about offering whiskey shot hand-ups at the start/finish with a time bonus for each shot you do. If I can get the scoring tool to make that possible.   :)

And no non fat bikes. Tire width must be >= 3.5".

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

January 15, 2016, 08:56 PM

I will be out with the CORP road-kit to do a little promotion, but am not able to make it until after the race starts.  Not the end of the world, as most of the folks who are there before the race will be there at the end.  But if you are willing and able to pick up the kit from my house (near the UW hospital) and set up and hang out before the race, let me know.  It's pretty easy and self-explanantory, and you get to hang out in the warm clubhouse.  Thanks!

XXX

January 16, 2016, 08:39 AM

Conditions today are really good. 100% rideable , except for the short run-up. I turned an 18 min lap going easy moderate. Some people will easily get 4 laps. Still time to come out by race time at 11!

XXX

January 17, 2016, 03:20 PM

Race report:

The weather turned out very favorably for a great event. The riding conditions were very good, and adding the infrastructure from our snowshoe partners added a lot. Links to the results and professional photos are up on the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/The-Inukshuk-441810662671654

Remember, if you missed out, there's another chance on Feb 6. Plus, there will be the fat bike crit on the Square on Feb 13. Plus plus, there's the big Big Valley Ranch weekend on Feb 20-21 out near Lone Rock. All part of the fledging Fat and Driftless series.

In the mean time, enjoy the trails at Pleasant View, recently buffed up by the racers.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

January 17, 2016, 04:59 PM

From an observers standpoint, it seemed like a great event.  Hanging out in the clubhouse on a perfect day with a bunch of happy racers (except the ones who kept riding because conditions were so good) was plenty enjoyable.  If I hadn't been worn out from a morning of hockey (also about perfect, middle of Lake Monona), I might have been tempted to try out this fat-bike fad.

Put 2/6 on your calendar, and hope for similar weather.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

January 30, 2016, 05:38 PM

The second Inukshuk is a week away, and the weather looks great; fresh snow, cold temps, and sunshine.  The criterion-style format makes for great spectating, and the bar is open in the clubhouse, so come out whether you want to ride or support.

We could use someone to set-up and staff the CORP promotional table.  It would involve getting the material from me, arriving at the clubhouse around 10:00 and setting up, and hanging out and promoting the club until noon or so, when I will arrive.  Easy and pleasant.  Let me now if you are interested.