•  

Noob trails

August 03, 2015, 09:08 AM

I am looking for some trail recommendations for noobs.  I just built my first 29er and took it out to Camrock 3 and I think about 1 minute in I had already flipped over my handlebars.... on the easy trail.  Anyway I figured that maybe Camrock is not an ideal place for me to start.  I did go to Rockport park in Janesville on Sunday and had no issues on the trails there.  Looking for some other recommendations to get used to my bike and its handling so I dont walk away with any broken bones.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

August 03, 2015, 09:49 AM

This is seriously an issue we are working on for a few years now at CORP. And it is a work in progress.
    The good news is that progress has been made  :D But the place to start at CamRock these days is the Cambridge Trailhead. From the CamRock III trailhead you are immediately on hills, and that is tough. The trailhead in Cambridge is still not marked great (we are working on that), but go to CamRock Sport in Cambridge. They will get you steered the right direction. You can take a look at the large map on the wall there. It is just across the creek from their shop/cafe.
    The first 1.5 miles of trail along the creek have an elevation change of only seven feet. Perfect for beginners! From there you can work to the Connector trails. On both the Fat Tracks section along the creek, and on the Connector, there are easy bypasses. Definitely take those your first time out.
    Also, feel free to come out to the Thursday Night Rides, or send me a PM. I love to take folks out and make sure they have a good experience on the bike, whatever their riding level.

~ Chuck Hutchens

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 10:00 AM by TheMayor1 »

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

August 03, 2015, 09:52 AM

I am looking for some trail recommendations for noobs.  I just built my first 29er and took it out to Camrock 3 and I think about 1 minute in I had already flipped over my handlebars.... on the easy trail.  Anyway I figured that maybe Camrock is not an ideal place for me to start.  I did go to Rockport park in Janesville on Sunday and had no issues on the trails there.  Looking for some other recommendations to get used to my bike and its handling so I dont walk away with any broken bones.

CamRock has areas that are very friendly for beginners and same for our other areas. My suggestion is join a group ride or shout out a ride and in a group you'll get help on the skills needed. CamRock has a group ride on Thursdays. This week might have lower turnout because of an event at Capital Brewery but that's always a great gang and place.

For sure ride the outer loop at Seminole trails! That's pretty much purpose-built so any skill level can have fun. It's a new place that should be finished up this season.

On Saturday I saw a woman new to the sport pretty much practicing on the pump track and burried wood log there (Middleton) and riding like that - seat down and repeat with care helps. I see new riders also go there and practice in the bowl area where there's some elevated trail and loops that spoon feed about everything. Don't be intimidated by the jumps. Lots of people learn there.

Kids love Quarry Park for learning. That place can look wild to the untrained eye but kids seem to find fun circles to ride and features to practice skills. The other Quarry - Quarry Ridge has loops that are fun and easy.

Blackhawk requires $25 or more membership but is home to 4 MTB classes a week and has trail construction designed to teach.

Here's what you probably need know more than which trail - a few bits of common or cliche MTB wisdom. Know it but don't over think it.

1. Always be ready to have your weight back or get it back fast. AKA "attack position" and "get your butt behind your seat". Keeping seat low helps for confidence and learning. Buy a quick release if your seat doesn't have one and a dropper post if you can afford it.

2. Light hands and heavy feet. This doesn't mean never grip your bars. It helps you make good traction and be ready to move your body where needed.

3. Heels down when going down or going through the rough stuff. This is especially true if you have flat or not clipped in pedals.

Look up "mountain bike geezer" and "thick skull mountain biking" from the awesome and amazing Griff who some here know.

The web's full of bike tips. Don't forget to shout out or join group rides right here.

Good luck and enjoy!

P.S. Somewhat tied to seat down for learning are pedals, shoes, gloves and other protection. Many riders love the cleated shoe and pedal combos for performance but for learning new skills you might do better with flat pedals and shoes good for a quick escape. Wear bike gloves to help with a fall. You can get pads and body protection but practicing skills in long pants can help avoid giving blood.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 09:54 AM by imwjl »

XXX

August 03, 2015, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the advice, and noob options.  I am learning about position on the bike, I think with CamRock this weekend it was more I had no idea what to expect and the very first run ever I was just going too slow.  I will check out the other trails and will be in the group rides going forward.  I am a roadie and member of Capital Brewery Cycling club, but think I will give it up to go mountain biking.  I think the shape that I need to build up to to ride for more than an hour without dying on a Mountain Bike will only help me on a road bike. 

XXX

August 10, 2015, 07:16 AM

I'd be interested to hear which trails you feel comfortable on.  I'm in the same boat.  I've been out at John Muir this summer and I feel pretty comfortable on most of the trails there, but I headed out to Pleasant View as it's close to me and ended up packing up the bike within a few minutes because I felt like I'd be flying over the handlebars in no time. 

XXX

August 10, 2015, 07:51 AM

I'd be interested to hear which trails you feel comfortable on.  I'm in the same boat.  I've been out at John Muir this summer and I feel pretty comfortable on most of the trails there, but I headed out to Pleasant View as it's close to me and ended up packing up the bike within a few minutes because I felt like I'd be flying over the handlebars in no time.

Here is what I have found in the last week:

Gov. Dodge: Great place to work on uphill riding in a comfortable environment, its difficult on the uphill and you do have to pay attention as the trail get get a little rough on the downhill, but in no way technical.

Seminole Trails:  Great place to ride, highly recommended, it is safe and fully manageable, yet lets you work on some things you would encounter in more technical places.  Ride there until you get better.

Rockport Park Janesville:  Great place to rice and explore, I have encountered everything from down trees to steep descents but I felt safe the whole time. 

PM me sometime we can be noobs together!

XXX

August 10, 2015, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the info!  I was thinking about trying Gov. Dodge.  I've been out to Devils Lake a few times.  They only have 1 trail and it does have some climbs and a lot of rocks, but I've felt safe out there.  I'll send you a message when I'm heading out next. 

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

August 10, 2015, 08:10 PM

If you are looking for similar trail to Governor Dodge without the drive, you can ride doubletrack trails at some of the Dane County Parks as well. I know you can ride the XC ski trails at CamRock and Badger Prairie. I believe at Lake Farm Park as well.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    imwjl

August 27, 2015, 01:29 PM

Tonight's 6 PM ride before our monthly meeting at Pleasant View will be a good one for anyone interested in learning. In this case learning a whole new trail area and a place with features to teach every skill needed for the sport.

Our monthly meeting is 7 PM after we ride. That part is how we make the CORP trails and events happen. Everyone is welcome.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 01:32 PM by imwjl »

XXX

August 29, 2015, 04:20 PM

Are the meetings always on Thursday evenings?

XXX
    imwjl

August 29, 2015, 05:14 PM

Are the meetings always on Thursday evenings?

Hi,

We hold a a monthly meeting the 4th Thursday each month. The link below always has meetings and events.

http://www.madcitydirt.com/index.php?action=events

There are regular rides at some of the trail sites. You'll see those on the calendar. Some members host an informal ride that moves around.

I believe Brian's hosted rides are at Pleasant View during Quarry Ridge construction. That group often has all ages, all abilities, male and female riders.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 07:19 AM by imwjl »

XXX
    imwjl

August 31, 2015, 04:09 PM

Rumors (strong ones) are saying this evening's ride at Pleasant View will be kids, spouses, some of the usual hammer heads, and I'm feeling kind of kicked in the head but will show anyway.

Brian's ride generally meets 5:30. If you get PV a bit late head west.

Another rumor is Blackhawk's new Howling Wolf flow trail is finished or nearly all the way to the road below - thanks Sunday diggers!

XXX

September 01, 2015, 06:02 PM

Rumors (strong ones) are saying this evening's ride at Pleasant View will be kids, spouses, some of the usual hammer heads, and I'm feeling kind of kicked in the head but will show anyway.

Thanks!  I didn't see this until today.  I'll try for next week.  Mondays usually work for me, provided my homework is finished. :)

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

September 02, 2015, 11:46 AM

Thanks!  I didn't see this until today.  I'll try for next week.  Mondays usually work for me, provided my homework is finished. :)
    Or head to CamRock this Thursday. We have had a good group going there as well. And I always enjoy showing noobs around the trails.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

September 02, 2015, 06:24 PM

I would like to, but I can't make a Thursday.  I have my daughter on Wednesdays and Thursdays and she doesn't like to bike. 
    Or head to CamRock this Thursday. We have had a good group going there as well. And I always enjoy showing noobs around the trails.