•  

Water managment question

August 25, 2014, 09:57 AM

As some of you may have noticed there's a couple low spots on the pump track at MBP. The current idea is to french drain these as elevation changes don't really get us much without raising that end of the pump track about a foot. My question is:

Would a french drain with a rain garden be more environmentally friendly and a better use of the space, or just the french drain with whatever weeds grow up around it?

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

August 25, 2014, 11:19 AM

My choice would be some build out of the pump track first. Interest has stalled in the past two seasons.

When we had the "toilet bowl" some efforts to gather water were not so great.

Richard has had the idea of a pedal powered water solution. The platform the tool shed sits on is a capped well.

We've had late season work weekends concentrating on TTF. Maybe schedule one concentrating on dirt?

:)

XXX

August 25, 2014, 12:22 PM

William, I think we're talking two different things, I'm talking about getting rid of water after rains, etc. Whereas I think you're addressing how to get more water out there (which is totally needed sometimes).

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

August 25, 2014, 01:08 PM

William, I think we're talking two different things, I'm talking about getting rid of water after rains, etc. Whereas I think you're addressing how to get more water out there (which is totally needed sometimes).

I meant both. In the past we tried ways to save some water vs call the water truck.

There's a french drain on north side path now that's mostly covered. Getting water out the N.E. side of pump track or west side is what's worked best and stopping too much water toward the jump line.

To measure, there were some quality equal length stakes with tape top and bottom that we used with levels and climometers to measure. Now there are theodolite apps (I have one), and they will make it easier than what Walter and I did with tape measure and levels.

It's probably easier to show you the fix spots there than type it here.

Thanks.