•  

Electric dirt bikes?

May 29, 2023, 12:32 PM

Riding at QR the last weeks I’ve seen a few groups with electric dirt bikes (throttle and no pedals). They fly up the trail seemingly tearing it up much faster. I’ve heard the riders claim that they’re legal.

Anyone know if they’re actually allowed?

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

May 30, 2023, 09:24 AM

Most all area municipalities have adopted WI state law known as act 34 in their local ordinances. No pedals likely means a class 2 and not the with pedals and allowed on trails class 1 and 3 e-assist bicycles.

As a trail steward I don't want to be in any sort of law enforcement or do anything other than suggest we all behave. I also have a lot of experience underscoring that we also don't want area law enforcement agencies spending much time where we enjoy riding. When I see a class 2 or motorcycle where they don't belong I give a polite reminder to follow the law so someone else doesn't call the police about their presence.

This problem is not as new as some think. There have been some years for decades when motorcycles have been on bike trails. A lot of times someone just needs some polite education. When the sheriff's dept and one local police department were spending time at near west trails it was not fun for anyone involved so keep that in mind.

XXX

May 30, 2023, 12:08 PM

Not trying to be pedantic, but there's nothing in Act 34 that excludes class 2 ebikes from trails. Act 34 gives ebikes (classes 1-3) all the access as standard bikes and leaves it up to the land manager to make it clear was isn't allowed. I know some of the local trails have rules about ebikes, but it's not very easy to find that information online.

That all being said, electric dirt bikes are not class 2 ebikes. The dirt bikes that have been seen lately at Quarry Ridge are fully throttle powered and do not have pedals or a 20mph governor.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 04:35 PM by Kevin M »