•  

Winter gravel rides

December 10, 2015, 07:13 AM

Okay, so it is getting to that time of the year that makes it difficult for those of us who don't have a fatbike to find some places to ride during the winter months.  Are there any gravel roads of trails that are available during the winter months?  I am familiar with the trail system along the railroad beds and they are one option until it snows but they are not very exciting.  Are there any gravel roads anywhere around here?

Peace,

Kyle

XXX

December 10, 2015, 08:34 AM

Not much gravel in southern wisconsin.  There is however thousands of miles of low traffic paved roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ I like beer and men

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 10, 2015, 09:11 AM

Yeah it is one of the things that Wisconsin is known for. All of our roads are paved. That's why road bikers love Wisco. Thank the diary farmers. They needed all those roads paved to get the milk trucks in and out in the freeze/thaw seasons.
    You have to go to the far southwest part of the state, or head up north, to find much for gravel roads.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

December 10, 2015, 10:44 AM

there are a few miles of gravel roads around the lagoons south of beltline on south towne drive (just off the paved bike path). I thought I remember a post a while back about being OK for bikers. I've been out there with the bikes and running shoes a few times when its wet everywhere else. flat terrain but lots of water fowl to watch with very few people.

XXX
    g
    And last but not least.......

December 10, 2015, 11:47 PM

The official name of that trail is the crap city.

there are a few miles of gravel roads around the lagoons south of beltline on south towne drive (just off the paved bike path). I thought I remember a post a while back about being OK for bikers. I've been out there with the bikes and running shoes a few times when its wet everywhere else. flat terrain but lots of water fowl to watch with very few people.

XXX

December 11, 2015, 06:29 AM

Since I grew up in a town in Montana that only had two paved streets, it is still beyond my comprehension that there are not any gravel roads around here.

What is the gravel road that is parallel to the Capital City trail?

What about the southwest part of the state?  Where is a good place in that direction?

Today is not a problem however, because I am heading to Camrock!

Cheers,

Kyle

XXX

December 11, 2015, 06:41 AM

Kyle, there is a mostly gravel loop out near Montfort that has been used in the Dairy Roubaix.  I have 30 mile loop out by me (Barneveld) that has maybe four total me les of gravel.  It's tough!  There is gravel to the southwest but it needs to be pieced together with pavement.

~ I like beer and men

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 11, 2015, 01:21 PM

What about the southwest part of the state?  Where is a good place in that direction?
    Yeah the Montfort to Prairie du Chein area is about where you need to head. Basically where it was too hilly to have dairy farms. Also makes for some tough riding.
    Once out are that far, it would not be much farther to head across the border. Anywhere in MN, Il, or IA is going to have lots of gravel roads. IA even has 3rd grade roads. Minimally maintained. At times during the year nearly impassable. More like a farm field if you ask me, but they are public roads. Think going through the creek, instead of having something like a bridge to go across.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

December 17, 2015, 04:26 PM

Just following up on the reference to the sludge lagoons of the Cap City Trail.  I have been trying to get these approved for winter use for several years.  Here is the response I obtained from Madison Sewerage District in 2014.  (MAS is Madison Audubon Society)

On Friday, August 14, 2015 5:52 AM, Ralph Erickson <RalphE@madsewer.org> wrote:

I am trying to figure why our dikes (flat and windy) are desirable to the group in winter.  The ice on the Madison lakes should offer the same windy flat conditions and are totally available to the public for use.

MAS – members have expressed desire to limit disturbances to the birds passing the lagoons in spring (and I assume fall) – bikes on the lagoon dikes are not tolerable by MAS. 

MAS could be contacted regarding winter expectations.  My experience on the lagoon dikes in winter is much quietude.  Coyote tracks and hawks and not much else moving about in daylight.

I will check with staff here on winter fat-bike gatherings.  I don’t expect a strong affirmative.  We do plow those dikes throughout the winter, which is probably not what the fat bike people are looking for regarding surface prep.

Ralph Erickson

Pretreatment and Waste Acceptance Coordinator

Madison Metropolitan Sewerage District

Offc: 608.222.1201 x 362

Sadly, I am no longer in Madison and I will not be championing this effort.  I still believe that it is an incredible area for biking.  CORP has a great relationship with the Friends of Capital Springs Rec Area, who can provide all the support and guidance to obtain approval from MMSD and MAS.  Just promise to only ride in the winter months.  Maybe cosponsor an event/race to raise funds for MAS.