•  

getting official access to ride snowmobile trails

December 10, 2013, 09:04 PM

I certainly won't take any action on behalf of CORP, or even introduce myself as a CORP member in discussions on this subject without official approval by the board. I just wanted to feel things out here and see what people thought of my proposal and maybe develop some interest from other individuals here.

I think my actions going forward will be as follows:
    • Contact County Parks tomorrow or Thursday and find out if there is or is not officially any rule against bicycles on snowmobile trails.
    • Head over to Farm and Fleet on Friday and see what's involved in purchasing a pass for myself.
    • Talk to some of the folks at the Platty Fatty on Saturday about their relationship with the local snowmobilers.
    • Come up with a plan of action, if any, based on that.

XXX

November 29, 2014, 09:39 PM

Well, I'm going to try to make some progress on this again. Got busy and sick last year so I dropped it.

Here's what I've gotten done:
    • I did call county parks, they had no idea how to answer and referred me to the snowmobile clubs.
    • I've gotten in touch with Tim Ingram owner of Momentum Bikes in Plattville who was instrumental in getting fatbike access to trails in that area. He said that basically he and a few other guys signed up for membership in the snomo club and the club was happy for the income from new members, talked to the leadership from there.
    Its not totally clear to me from the website how someone joins one of our local clubs, but seems like a good start.

Tim also pointed out that though people have raised the safety issue as a concern, but noted that:
    • You can hear them coming a long way off and cyclist there just get off the trail before the snow machines arrive
    • that though a snowmobile coming at a fatbiker at 70 mph could be a safty issue, "it can’t be any worse than two sledders flying at 70 mph towards each other."

So I guess I'm going to go ahead and reach out to the local snowmobilers, on my own behalf if not on the behalf of CORP. I could wait if the CORP board wants to talk about it.

Does anyone happen to know any of these guys (county council board members, local club leaders) personally, and could maybe make introductions?:

Should I start a new post about this in the fatbike forum?