•  

4/12 - Spring Workday

April 08, 2014, 10:09 PM

With all of the great trail improvements last year, you may be wondering what more we could do to enhance or expand the trails at Quarry Ridge. The answer: a lot! There are a bunch more trail improvements planned for this year including two new downhill lines, enhancing the Three Sisters line, and improving the flow of all of the existing trails. The downhill improvements are exciting because they will create some longer downhill lines with beginner-friendly, yet challenging for more advanced riders, features and some larger berms. A very large wooden bridge/jump feature (or maybe two) will be built as part of these expansions.

To make this happen, the first workday is planned for this this Saturday, 4/12. The weather looks great with a high in the 60's, which is a nice change from the cold and muddy spring of the last few weeks. Come out and help, we could use it!

The rough list of tasks for Saturday is as follows:
    1. Fix drainage issues where water puddles on the trail throughout the trail system. This will allow the trail to dry faster after rain so we can get riding sooner!
    2. Smoothing the new trails, removing stumps, and building berms.
    3. Clearing the two new downhill lines of brush. If time allows, we will at least rake them smooth so they can be ridden without features or berms.
    4. Afternoon session adding berms or features to the new downhill trails or cross country trails.

The workday will start at 8 am on 4/12. Please be there on time to sign wavers, break into workgroups, hold a quick safety meeting, and discuss plans for the day....and breakfast beverages and donuts! We will work until about noon and then CORP will be providing a lunch (likely brats). Stick around for the afternoon if you want.

What to bring/wear:
     - Outdoor clothing and layers for the weather.
     - Good gloves.
     - Water (although bottled water will be provided as well).

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

April 09, 2014, 02:44 PM

So I have volunteered to take lead dog for the eats and treats at lunch time. I am prolly better at spotting a trail carrying water than putting together a tasty tailgate affair, but I can get it done.
    I just thought I would throw it out there: If anyone else wants to take the lead on the lunch I would be willing to hand over the reigns and repair trails instead. CORP is covering the costs. I can deliver a grill and fuel.
    If no one else is interested, no issues. I will cover. But don't expect anything too fancy. I am better at picking a good beer to wash it down with than putting together a complete cook out. It will likely be some brats and burgers, with a couple of basic sides to go along.
    Of course if folks want to bring a side or dessert along for the after party and make it a bit of pot luck, Sconnie style, that would be awesome as well!

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

April 11, 2014, 01:05 PM

We're on for tomorrow. The City has approved our plans for the new downhill lines. We will be clearing those lines in addition to regular maintenance if enough people show up.

The event is rain or shine. If there is a big downpour, we will stop, but otherwise we will proceed as planned. The rain is supposed hold off or be very minimal until later in the afternoon.

XXX
    Renegade Rick
    Webmaster
    Administrator

April 12, 2014, 07:45 AM

Yep. Game on. The early rain will pass.

XXX
    Colin519

April 13, 2014, 01:30 AM

;D What a great turn out.  I think we got a lot done and I am excited to see the final lines.

XXX

April 13, 2014, 07:54 AM

A big THANK YOU to everyone who made it out yesterday. We had a record turnout (again) and completed all of the tasks I had planned.

Both new downhills were cleared during the workday. I'll be announcing a few informal evening work sessions to build jumps and berms on each of those lines. Stay tuned.

Thanks!

Jeff

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

April 13, 2014, 10:38 AM

Yes a great turnout! It gives hope for another great season when you see that many people showing up to put back into the trails they love to ride.
    I hope no one went hungry while waiting for the grill to catch up to the mass of folks wanting to eat. It seemed most folks enjoyed a few minutes talking to their fellow mountain bikers. I know I did. I also heard of a lot if riding plans being formulated yesterday!
    The dirt is open and ready to ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

April 14, 2014, 11:38 AM

Pics?