•  

CamRock Trails

TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 23, 2013, 07:35 PM

Just a quick update: I have a local person who is willing to help me in trying to machine pack the trails. He has a couple of older-style sleds. We are just trying to coordinate on a time with Christmas and before I leave town on Thursday. I will try to keep you updated.

Currently the Creekside Connector is in great shape. Veritas is tough but doable. And the Prairie Connector trails have not been touched.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 27, 2013, 03:32 PM

Good news and bad news.
    Good news: I just got a report from the trails that the Creekside Connector in in perfect packed condition. Get out And ride it!
    Bad news: I was not able to get the rest of the trails to Rockdale machine packed so I do not know what shape they are in. And the guy who was going to donate the snowmobile to do it is getting cold feet. So it may or may not happen.
    I am out if town until early next week and will find out more then. I'm off to ride the machine packed trails of the Cable area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

December 27, 2013, 06:34 PM

If we can get some people out on snowshoes tomorrow from the #3 head, I bet it would pack down fast. Hike one lap, ride a second?

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 31, 2013, 07:56 PM

Rode everything, yes everything! This afternoon. Even Cliff Edge. I was surprised to find that the entire trail system is packed by hikers and snowshoers. Everything is rideable. I was able to ride everything except the Killer Climb, but that is a challenge in ideal conditions.
    The Creekside Connector is a packed highway. Prairie Connector is pretty good. Rip 'N Ride is not packed as most folks are taking the beginner bypass. Outback has a nice ridden in line, though it is a fat bike track so it is narrow.
    Let's hope tonights snow is not too deep so we can ride in this new snow.  It seems getting riders out to snowshoe pack trail is a challenge.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

January 01, 2014, 10:16 AM

The trails at CamRock are in perfect shape. Everything is rideable.
    With the trails nicely packed yesterday, the 2" of fresh over the top only made them better. The bit of fresh will provides a little cushion to take out some of the chatter.
    It was nice to get a 10.5 mile loop in yesterday. I would say most of the system should be rideable on any bike. The snow is super firm.
    I think Derrick from CamRock Sport and I are going to head out for a ride again after the Badger Game. I would post a ride and time but it will all hing on the game.

~ Chuck Hutchens

« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 10:50 AM by TheMayor1 »

XXX

January 26, 2014, 02:59 PM

Put down fresh tracks at CR today - the snow was great!  The end of Woodchuck is drifted in, as well as a lot of the trails that are by the edges of fields.  The only part we didn't ride was by the CR3 lot.  Otherwise, all the singletrack & the connector to CamRock Cafe was excellent!

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

February 01, 2014, 06:30 PM

Spent 5 hours working to re-open the drifted in parts of the trails today. I focused on the trails by CamRock III. I stomped everything south of the Roundabout as I knew there was a lot of blowing and drifting issues in this area.

I snowshoed everything at last once. In some areas other shoers or hikers had been out as well. Those areas I went over once. Trying to focus on soft areas, making the turns rounded, and making some clearance from the trees.

I Shoe'd the open field next to Highland Drive three times. No tracks has been out here since before the cold and windstorms. There are places with drifts over 3' high. I think once this area sets up for a couple of days it should be nice and firm to ride. Luckily I think we will be able to float over those big drifts. They are packed pretty firm.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

February 07, 2014, 02:09 PM

The trails are in awesome shape at CamRock right now! I hope folks get out and ride it.
    I have spent 10 hours this last week getting things packed in. They shout be about perfect. That is assuming the forecast holds and we get the predicted 1" of fluff tomorrow. With the cold things are getting nice and firm.
    The one place I did not get back to after the last little 1" of light snow we received is the top of Mayors Playground. I would expect that has drifted back in since Tuesday an might be hike a bike for 150' or so. But the downhill should be perfect snow berms and rollers :)
    Ironically all the shoeing made my knee swell up like a balloon last night so now I can't ride :( I was going to set up a group ride but that doesn't make any sense now. Maybe someone else wants to? CamRock Sport has their weekly Saturday night music starting at 7 if it works for your ride. I will Polly be there....

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

February 26, 2014, 09:22 PM

Boy is just doesn't get any better than this folks! Conditions are perfect right now. We have hero snow. Tons of traction and fast as heck :D
    Everything is rideable save for Woodchuck (upper field next to Highland Road), take the shortcut back onto Corkscrew. The Connectors are fast as heck. Berms on Beer Run, Mayors, and Rip N' Ride are a blast. The only section with any ice is the creekside trails and this is very minor.
    So throw on the wool undies and get out and ride, you don't want to miss these conditions!

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

March 19, 2014, 09:40 AM

In the 40s and raining. Time for the spring thaw. Please stay off the trail and let things dry and firm up.

If you must , please only ride when it is well below freezing, and the sun is not out. Besides some overflow from the creek, there are a lot of bare spots showing up now. These a complete slop unless frozen solid.

Lets hope for a quick spring thaw and we will be back out on the trails soon!

~ Chuck Hutchens