•  

Is CORP doing anything for Wolrd Fatbike Day?

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

October 20, 2014, 10:03 AM

I'm not sure. Earl from Revolution was interested in stepping up as a CORP fat bike ambassador (lack of better description). Jeremy @ Pleasant View club house was interested in serving fat bike riders. Some of our land managers have expressed they'd like some fat bike leadership so one bad incident or inconsiderate rider doesn't spoil it for many.

Earl? Anyone?

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

October 20, 2014, 01:07 PM

Just saw that announcement on Facebook last night. It would be fun to get something going. A few of us joined the large group out at the Kettles last year. A fun time for sure. It was nice to have a warm place to go and socialize afterward.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

October 20, 2014, 03:17 PM

Would be nice to have a CORP-event on a CORP-trail if possible.

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

October 20, 2014, 03:37 PM

Doesn't seem like an ideal day of the year for fat biking for this area...

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

October 21, 2014, 06:55 AM

Doesn't seem like an ideal day of the year for fat biking for this area...
    It is promoted for all over the world via fat dash bike dot com. The idea is for a global fat biking day, not a snow biking day if that is what you are thinking. Last year it was about zero degrees or close to it if I recall correctly. A harbinger of things to come....
    It was lots of clothing layers, hard frozen trails, a good amount of hard riding, fixing a tractor tire on the trail, and some hot toddies waiting back at the shelter. There may have even been some beverages stashed along the route, but I'm not talking ;)
    I am sure CamRock Sport would jump on board and be a warm place to gather afterward. And they would have beverages. Other ideas? Kettles used the XC ski shelter as the gathering spot. It is a warming shelter with heat.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

October 21, 2014, 08:29 AM

Yeah I understand the difference. Just thinking that the trails are usually going through freeze/thaw around then. Hopefully it works out. Blue Mounds has a nice warming shelter that's open 8am-10pm year round.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

October 21, 2014, 09:16 AM

Good point Gary on trail conditions. Anything would have to be weather dependent. If I recall last year it was in the morning to try and make it less likely for thaw? Greg or others might recall.

Good to know on the BM shelter. I did not realize it was open year-around. That would be a great spot if we wanted to make the event a more potluck kind of thing. That is how the Kettles group promoted it.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

October 21, 2014, 11:42 AM

Surely there must be a section of beach for some fat bike riding? What's left of the mill pond in Rockdale? Lake Quarry Ridge?

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

October 21, 2014, 01:14 PM

Surely there must be a section of beach for some fat bike riding? What's left of the mill pond in Rockdale? Lake Quarry Ridge?
    Mill Pond in Rockdale is now all lowland prairie.
    The best I would know would be to poach some city beaches. I would mention the local State Park beaches, which would be great, but that would be illegal ::)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

November 05, 2014, 02:42 PM

Couple of ideas:  1) schedule a group ride at camrock because least likely to be mushy; 2) schedule a group ride at night @ either Camrock or BM, when ground is frozen; or 3) ride fatbikes around downtown madison and go bar hopping.   

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

November 06, 2014, 09:50 AM

I say we just schedule a day ride and go with it. Make it an event rather than a quick ride. We should get a lot more people involved that way.

The "Global Fat Bike Day 2014 Southern Wisconsin Chapter" is scheduled for a noonish ride. A few of us are in their picture from last year. It was a good time. I like their schedule. Ride is scheduled from 11:30-5p. Start gathering and get gear on at 11:30. Noon ride over to the Kettles parking lot (they meet at the XC ski shelter because it has heat). Gather there and take a picture. Ride at 12:20. Gather back at the shelter for a gathering and pot luck afterward. Some froze out and were back in an hour. Most rode for at least a couple of hours, with a few stops for refreshments along the trail. Me, I just spent the time helping Greg get his tire fixed ;-)

I don't care where we do it, but we should have a place to gather afterward that is warm. If it is like last year it could be really cold. And I think a couple of places to stop during the ride for a refreshment would be a great idea. Maybe we should do a ride from CamRock Sport. Hit the trails. Stop at Heathers for some schnapps and warm up. Explain to the locals that yes it is 10 degrees out, yes we are riding our bikes, yes those sure are fat tires. Then hit the trails back to CamRock Sport. Plan to back before dark at 4:30p.

The way the weather is looking for next week, this could easily be a snowbike ride.

Another thought: CamRock Sport also has fat bikes to rent if someone wants to rent one and join in the fun!

~ Chuck Hutchens

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:53 AM by TheMayor1 »

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

November 06, 2014, 01:57 PM

Seeing as we have asked Earl from Revolutions to partner with us on this, I am going to suggest a Madison event centered around riding to QR, Seminole, maybe Middleton, and libations.  A big parade of fatties down state street would be cool.

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

November 09, 2014, 05:37 PM

Right now the tentative plan is to meet at Revolutions and do some local off-road trails, weather permitting, ride through town, and stop for some eats and libations.  More details to follow.

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm
    Trail Steward

November 20, 2014, 10:56 PM

Boy, totally missed this thread. Don't know what planet I've been on lately.

Kinda after the fact but FYI:
    In 2012 we celebrated GFBD by starting the day working on the Creekside Connector at CamRock. Started raining as we finished up. A quick ride up Creekside and a lap around CR II and back on Creekside was all we got.

Last year on GFBD Chuck and I met at the Kettles. A couple miles in we stopped to pump up my tire, a mile later we stopped again. Another half mile or so and still not even half way around the blue loop we decided a new tube was in order. Do you know how long it takes to pump up a fat tire with a backpack pump? :P Managed to finish the blue loop, while others went all the way over to Emma Carlin.

Hopefully I can get a better ride in this year.  See you at CamRock.  :)

Chuck's idea of helping fix a flat tire.
    In Chuck's defense, I did appreciate the company and he did offer me a couple nips.  ;D

~ Here uncultivated acres wait prime for adventure....back 40