•  

Tire Question

April 10, 2013, 12:44 PM

What kind of tires are good for something like the downhill sections of QR?  Do you guys run big knobby ~2.5" downhill tires, or does QR not really call for that since it's small and fairly tame compared to the real stuff outside of WI?

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

April 10, 2013, 01:15 PM

I run 1.8" slicks :) 

No just kidding. I run 2.3" Kenda Nevegals. But I run them everywhere and for all seasons. They are not the fastest or the lightest, but they will always do the job. If you are a speed demon or a weight weenie you can spend your time changing tires. I like to spend my time either riding or building trail.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

April 10, 2013, 01:32 PM

Yup, real hard to go wrong with k rads

XXX

April 10, 2013, 02:12 PM

I was riding the Maxis Ardent the latter half of last year and it's been a really great all around tire.  I have the 2.4 up front and 2.25 in the back, the 2.25 is sufficient for this area. It's not an XC racers tire, but they roll really well and have hooked up in every condition I could throw at them. I'd have no problem recommending them as an all purpose dirt tire.

XXX

April 11, 2013, 01:35 AM

Rich, have you ridden Nevegals before?  If so, do you think the Ardents grip as well in the rear?  I guess climbing and braking would be the main grip to look for in a rear tire?  I looked up some reviews and a few mentioned the Ardent rolling better, but didn't give a comparison of the grip between the Ardent and the Nevegal.

I have a 2.5" WTB Timber Wolf up front right now for QR, and have been running a 2.3 Nevegal in the rear.  I feel like the Nevegal in the rear makes me work more than I need to.  After a while it seems like I get tired on the Nevegal.  The only other MTB tire I have to compare it to is a much smaller tread Bontrager, though, so maybe it would be the same with any larger knob tire...

I managed to have two sets of wheels now, so I can have a set of tires mounted on one for "downhill" at QR and a smaller knob/better rolling set for Camrock. :)  I haven't made it to any other trails yet...

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:44 AM by firstRWD »

XXX

April 11, 2013, 08:39 AM

I haven't ridden the Nevegal so I can't offer a comparison.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

April 11, 2013, 11:57 AM

I've had Nevagals in dual, all sticky rubber, 2.3 and 2.5. All have sort of a "I've hit terminal velocity." feeling. That said, they're very good.

I've had several Maxxis in different sizes and rubber types. Most Maxxis I've had have excelled at cornering, value and lasting longer than some tires. One of the Maxxis high roller models has an in between standard and sticky rubber and those are really good. I haven't tried High Roller 2 which may not have that spooky feeling High Rollers can have when you first lay them sidways.

Note that I've not had any soft rubber tire last particularly well, and none hold up to sharp rocks. They've spared me so much blood letting that I use them at Blue Mound regardless.

My past two season solution for wanting what I like in the Maxxis and Nevegal are Shwalbe Hans Dampf. They're expensive, huge, not too fast but have less of that Nevegal terminal velocity feeling.

Tubeless is worth trying. I've seen too many have problems when the tires were not UST or sold as "tubeless ready" so I've only used that type. With tubeless and those big Hans Dampf I've gone from 32 psi and occasional pinch flat to 28 psi and no pinch flats. My only tubeless flats have been straight on puncture with one incident of my Stans jizz dried out.

Sure, I've liked some tire patterns a lot but the wake up call for me was soft rubber tubeless, low pressure and going big. I say that because the Shwalbes I have are nothing but basic old fashioned looking knobbies but many people like them.

Be careful. I think tire talk is like debating guitar strings, favorite beer and worth keeping the phrase De gustibus non est disputandum in mind.